nFBA (Neo Final Burn Alpha) Arcade Emulator

24 public posts in this discussion.

Post 1

Update: if you're a 2D fighter fan, check out GGPO! It uses the FBA engine, but with a built-in lobby system that enables p2p match-making. It supports Dungeons and Dragons, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, King of Fighters 98/2002, Marvel vs Capcom, Samurai Shodown 2, Street Fighter Alpha 2/3, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Street Figher II: Turbo, Vampire Savior and X-Men vs Street Fighter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

nFBA is a much better option than MAME Plus! Plus! with Kaillera if you're wanting to play Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (3S) online, as it allows p2p multiplayer/netplay games that seem to be much smoother than the server/client method used with Kaillera in MAME Plus! Plus!

It seems to be missing some of the comprehensive options available in various MAME packages, but for 3S multiplayer over the internet it definately seems like the way to go.
- Download and install the latest nFB release (at the time of writing this it's nfbadtr9u1.exe).

- Dump SF3 3S into the /roms/ directory (download it here).

- Dump Japanese 3S NO-CD rom launcher in /roms/ too (download it here) - this is the build most people play online as it disables the 20 minute cd-rom procedure on first-time game-run.

- Start nFB >> Game >> Load Game >> tick "Show Available Only"

- Launch 3S and press F5 to set controlls, then exit.

- nFB >> Game >> Play via Kaillera

From there you can enter a friend's IP who's hosting or host your own game. Please keep in mind to host one successfully you may need to enable port forwarding or put your machine in a DMZ. You can set the port that Kaillera p2p uses inside the "Options" tab in the same screen that you connect or host.

For SF3 3S tactics, PS3 SIXAXIS controllers in Windows, and some other info, check out the previous MAME thread... http://www.gamers-underground.com/forum/games-general/29497-mame-online-netplay-mame-plus-0-119-kaillera.html

Post 2

Well rec and I just finished a 3 hour gaming + setup session. Soooo cool. Very little lag which was surprising. It was quite an even competition!

Now all we have to do is get proper arcade sticks instead of USB console-style controllers!!

That was so cool. I used to pump dollar after dollar into this stuff... now I can play online. We used another service called GGPO in which you can challenge people... You can even spectate other matches. We watched these Japanese guys duke it out... veeeeeeery impressive.

Post 3

GGPO is awesome. The emu it's based on is stlll FBA, but the direction they've taken with lobby and interface section is brilliant. I'll make a post about it tommorrow and we'll try and iron out the connectivity issues you were having with it!

Street Fighter 3 is f*cking awesome. Definate yes on wanting an arcade stick. :)

Post 4

Or go round to Nytcrawlers and play it on an arcade machine.

Post 5

Quote from ResLo;349578:
Or go round to Nytcrawlers and play it on an arcade machine.

What a cruel thing to say. :P

Post 6

I played it at his place once about a year ago. I think it's Street Fighter Alpha though, which isn't used for tournaments anymore - and I'd like to try my hand at competing at some stage... games for me are only fun for extended periods of time if there's a competitive aspect.

Hyper Street Fighter 2 Aniversary Edition and Street Fighter III 3rd Strike are the primary 2D titles used due to their gameplay balance, with Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 also still very popular.

Post 7

Quote from ResLo;349578:
Or go round to Nytcrawlers and play it on an arcade machine.

Which would be cool if he hadn't got rid of it - his wife has never been so happy.

Post 8

Quote from UnSCaRReD;349586:
Which would be cool if he hadn't got rid of it - his wife has never been so happy.

No I am even sadder... YOU BASTARDS!!! :P

Post 9

Really? It's gone!?!? Such a shame. :(

Post 10

Yeah I've used this emu to play 3S before... Maybe we should get a Kaillera server going when the GU server gets back up

Post 11

Grandinferno and I ordered a couple of these today... the Hori Real Arcade Pro Stick 3. Widely recognised as the greatest non-custom arcade stick on the market, with authentic Japanese arcade button layout and genuine Japanese arcade components weighing in at over 3.5kg.

If I had some stupid emoticon of a Japanese anime character jumping into the air, I'd put it here.

Post 12

*creates sweet inlay and searches for concave buttons

Post 13

Man you can play just as well without an arcade pad -_-
One of my good mates is a ridiculous Hugo player and he can pull the 720 super on command using just a keyboard...

Post 14

I've been playing on arcade machines since the mid-80s... I'm not playing on a f*cking keyboard!! lol... ;)

Post 15

I've seen some insanely good players over the past two days, both in-the-real and on gaming video websites... some of which do use a keyboard. That said, the very best, the ones winning world championships, use an arcade stick. ;)

Oh and nick - check out OzHadou and that SKR website. Heaps of people have modded their HRAPS3 with buttons considered better etc. I personally would love to unscrew that top plate and get some great artwork sprayed on there.

Post 16

Quote from rec;349634:
I've seen some insanely good players over the past two days, both in-the-real and on gaming video websites... some of which do use a keyboard. That said, the very best, the ones winning world championships, use an arcade stick. ;)

Oh and nick - check out OzHadou and that SKR website. Heaps of people have modded their HRAPS3 with buttons considered better etc. I personally would love to unscrew that top plate and get some great artwork sprayed on there.

I've got some awesome highres Street Fighter art I'll bring round. Some quite nice airbrushed stuff. You just get it printed on vinyl and get them to cut holes in it with a knife plotter and stick it on! I really want concave buttons though. They're the sh!t.

Post 17

How much did the Hori pads set you back and whered you guys get them from?
Oh and when do you guys play and what Chars because I feel itchy to play again.

Post 18

I usually play Ryu or Ken. As I have for... hmmm... well over 15 years! lol NOW I FEEL OLD...

I think they were around "62 each with alleged quick postage. I don't know where rec ordered them from...

Post 19

Stumbled across this tonight:
GGPO.net

I had so many awesome games vs many of the aussies there, got schooled a shitload but I got my Chun skills unrustied and Ken to a pretty decent level. If you guys ever feel like a game drop me a line on MSN if you want. [email]leonami@hotmail.com[/email]
I definitely have a bit of the itch again....

Post 20

Yeah rec's been playing on that for the last couple of days. I tried the last couple of days and was up til 3am trying to get it working. I can spectate but not actually play. I think it's a port thing... but my router doesn't want to actually let me open any. I am unspeakably angry and have had enough of anything D-Link. :(

I might have to unplug my router and go straight into the modem every time I want to play. Joy.

Post 21

Definitely concave buttons.
I was more of an MK player than SF though.

Post 22

Quote from UnSCaRReD;349672:
Definitely concave buttons.
I was more of an MK player than SF though.

That's exactly what our receptionist at work said to me yesterday. Seriously. She's hilarious... She got all excited when I showed her the arcade stick that's on the way.

Post 23

I bought them from Games-asia.com as PlayAsia has been sold out for 3 weeks. PlayAsia had the new ones in, but nothing has changed except the colour, and they would have cost "90 includin shipping. The older colour at Game-asia.com were "63 including postage.

Product page here: Buy HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3 FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE! - games-asia.com

I'm looking at getting some Seimitu concave buttons from here... Seimitsu Pushbuttons - UK Supplier. Insist On The Best.

And yes GGPO is sweet as. Nick; have you tried port-forwardig 6000 through 6010 for tcp/udp? It's what is recommended for people having connectivity issues.

Leonami; my alias on GGPO is recstyler - I'm there pretty frequently. :P

Post 24

Quote from rec;349676:
Nick; have you tried port-forwardig 6000 through 6010 for tcp/udp? It's what is recommended for people having connectivity issues.

Yes I did. Ran port tests and it said they were still closed. D-Link + axe = joy