Tattoo's in Darwin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo's in Darwin

Just got some another tattoo done whilst here in Adelaide and I feel like I have been ripped off price wise.

My wife also got a small tat straight after mine and they were both done much faster than the quoted time so the price worked out to be around $380ph where as my last tattoo in the same studio cost $150ph and of course you have to pay up front so asking for part refund will get you nowhere.

So I just wanted to know if anyone has had any done in Darwin, what do you think of the workmanship, where to go and what are the average hourly rates? Even if any of you guy's know's a guy who know's a guy who is the type of guy looking for some extra income.

I know the tattoo industry is an expensive one and these guys know roughly how long things take so when you are talking big bucks being charged for 3 hours when it took less than 1.5 is a big deal.
    Last edited by Darren; 14-10-10, 04:23 AM.

I've personally seen a few tatts done by the guys at Coolalinga. Their linework is pretty good and their styles are more traditional; but I also believe their prices are reasonable (around the $150 mark if i recall correctly).

Comment

My mate had a macaw done out at Coolalinga, he was pretty happy with it.

Comment

Can I ask where you went in Adelaide? (PM me if you like)

I was being charged $100 per hour around 10 years ago in Adelaide, and I have NEVER paid up front (nor would I) for a tattoo.

My last ink was in Ohio, and that was $500 USD (2 years ago now) for around 4 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by UnSCaRReD View Post
          Can I ask where you went in Adelaide? (PM me if you like)

I was being charged $100 per hour around 10 years ago in Adelaide, and I have NEVER paid up front (nor would I) for a tattoo.

My last ink was in Ohio, and that was $500 USD (2 years ago now) for around 4 hours.
          I went to Jetty Raod Body Piercing & Tattoo studio. I got my last tat there and it was $650 for 4 and quarter hours, so a little over $150ph. I don't expect to pay any more than $150 either.

I know I shouldn't have paid up front but I have been there before and had a bit of trust in them, I will never do it again.

I have heard that the studio in Darwin city is good but hav'nt heard anything about pricing.

Comment

Yeh i didnt pay up front for mine, got it in brissy.
            And i can say that i know a few people with tats and non have payed up front... not sure what the go is with that...

The place in the city ive seen good and bad, i know a few people that swear by them, but ive seen some real shoddy work on some very simple designs from there..

Comment

Tattoo You Emporium

arteests

Comment

Had my first one (two lines of text) done in at the parlour in the Darwin CBD...he asked for $400 ($100 deposit). It took barely over an hour and he agreed to reduce the price to $300, but IMO that's still a ripoff.

My last trip to Singapore I went to Marc Pinto's parlour (he's based in Perth, but has a branch in Singapore) where I got 4 extra lines of text for about $150 (two hours work), and some other work at around the same rate.

It's not worth getting ink in Darwin at all.

Comment

the thing about tattoos though your paying for the artistry. So if it costs a little more for better quality work whats the problem here? Its on you for life. I have seen mixed reviews of tattoos from asia and I would prefer pay an extra 100-200 an hour knowing for sure its by a high quality artist with good referances then some random in a house in Thailand. Don't get me wrong Ive seen exceptional work come out of Thailand but a lot more shoddy work.

Just do your research on the artist. And don't scrimp because once your tattooed its not easy to remove.

anyway i got my last tattoo over 10 years ago and i cant even remember the artist but it was in darwin, it was a simple design and I wasn't to impressed with the work. But I was young & stupid at the time and I do still like the tattoo I just know it could have been better.

Comment

saw an awesome set of tattoos on someone in line at the cinema yesterday - the two main characters from Nightmare Before Christmas were tattooed on the back of some chick's legs

Comment

Originally posted by SperO View Post
                      the thing about tattoos though your paying for the artistry. So if it costs a little more for better quality work whats the problem here? Its on you for life. I have seen mixed reviews of tattoos from asia and I would prefer pay an extra 100-200 an hour knowing for sure its by a high quality artist with good referances then some random in a house in Thailand. Don't get me wrong Ive seen exceptional work come out of Thailand but a lot more shoddy work.

Just do your research on the artist. And don't scrimp because once your tattooed its not easy to remove.

anyway i got my last tattoo over 10 years ago and i cant even remember the artist but it was in darwin, it was a simple design and I wasn't to impressed with the work. But I was young & stupid at the time and I do still like the tattoo I just know it could have been better.
                      The issue really is tattooist just charging what ever they want, they quotes aren't hourly, they are just numbers of the top of their head. They quote 3 hours, do it in 1 and still charge you 3, they are just rip offs and they no there's nothing you can do about it as everything is cash.

Comment

yea but no one asks an artist how long it took them to do a painting. You pay on the quality of work not the hourly rate.

Ok if its a simple design anyone could do then yea ... your not really paying for an artist. But the more intricate tattoos you should be ready to invest more money.

Comment

yeah ive had all 3 of mine done in bangkok... the most one has ever cost me was 250 all up and that was 7 and a half hours work, and before you say it it wasnt some dingy alleyway tattoo parlor it was cleaner than most hospitals both the artists have actual art degrees and their handiwork is amazing bangkoktattoo.net my last one before it healed

Comment

No matter what there needs to be some sort of consistency, especially with the same artist, were not talking about 20,30 or 40 an hour difference, it's in the hundreds. That is just plain ripoff any way you look at it. No matter what your skill set you can't just go around making up prices as you please because you can, they need to be similar to an extent.

Could you imagine if every industry did this, the hot chick at the check out gets her milk for dollar while the fat fuck behind pays ten.

Comment

Just had to say I'm loving that tattoo Kiza, would make any Territorian proud

Oh and people always ask how long paintings and tattoos alike take to create. You'll find even painters when doing a commission (being paid by someone else to paint what they want) will charge hourly. Either way I do agree people shouldn't skimp on money when paying for a tattoo but at the same time shouldn't be ripped of either. Ask around, get quotes from other shops (down south) and then go barter with the dude/shop. Chances are you'll get them to come down, cause as they say, any business is good business.
                              Last edited by Psycho Penguin; 30-12-10, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X