No announcement yet.

Country Gamer(Springton, SA) needs help <sob>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mate, this is a gaming community so no cash is needed. I'll back them up tomorrow and see what size they are. Then I'll burn them onto a DVD/s and post them to you. No need to show me you own the games as the backups will only work if you have purchased them through steam already. I'm not risking anything by giving you the files. Any games Insidious has he can burn them also and give them to be to post at the same time.

If you really want show your appreciation you could spend $5 on this and gift it to me/us through steam > Poker Night at the Inventory on Steam

Comment

Truly greatly appreciated mate. I wouldn;t like to give my address out in the open forum but can PM it if so desired. I was only offering money to offset the cost of media as I am not of the something for nothing school of thought (which seems to be very prevalent these days - a lot of people seem to have this weird sense of entitlement). If I can offset the cost of the media by gifting a game or two that suits me fine and will be more than happy to do it. Let me know what you want and i will gift it to you but I wont be able to do the gifting until 11/02/11(scary date for the paranoid). At Campbelltown library 45 secs to go - must press send.

Comment

Also as a bit of forewarning, RAID-1 is not backup. Virus or a software error (as a steam beta once did) comes through and wipes out all your data, your RAID ain't going to save you there either.

(Okay that came through a bit more harsh sounding than I thought.)

Use an external hdd or similar to backup your steam games so you can just 'copy and paste' essentially.

The reason RAID is not a backup solution is because it helps recovery in the event of physical failures, not logical/software ones such as software error (steam beta is now redownloading ALL YOUR GAMES) or malicious virii/malware/chickens.
        Last edited by Jay; 01-02-11, 01:42 PM.

Comment

@Jay Thanks for that. I have a hard drive from a broken laptop(USB dongled) that I will be using as an external measure. What i was trying to say was that RAID-1 will offer me a little more protection than a single HDD (that wasn't backed up). I knew it was inevitable that a HDD would fail on me one day but as it was my first HDD failure in 30 years I was well overdue and it made up for being overdue by being absolutely catastrophic.
          I didn't read your words as harsh at all but understand that on the innertubes some people seem to take every comment sent their way as a vicious personal attack/slur (you just have to laugh really). People take me the wrong way all the time as I am self-deprecatory and cynical so I am misunderstood on an extremely regular basis.
          This is my home in Springton Building Our Home it has been very sparse on updates as my health has been dodgy for a few years but this project will be completed.
          Realisation has dawned that I lost a HDD about 6 years ago so it is my second drive to fail. 'Tis funny what age does to memory - I guess you will all get to experience this too one day - it really does suck.
          Last edited by UninfrmedLuddit; 01-02-11, 02:02 PM. Reason: HDD realisation dawns

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
            The reason RAID is not a backup solution is because it helps recovery in the event of physical failures
            Consumer on board raid isn't even that half the time.

Comment

Did I mention that I'm easily depressed

Comment

You didn't. Here, this might cheer you up: http://gamers-underground.com/genera...er-thread.html

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                  You didn't. Here, this might cheer you up: http://gamers-underground.com/genera...er-thread.html
                  lol good thinking rec i feel better already!

Comment

Could those people that offered to make backups for me please PM me and I will then coordinate with who has what, how to get it to me, and how to sort you out for your troubles. Again, thanks very much. Sorry for the delay - the fridge has gone insane and quadrupled its power consumption which means I cannot use the computer at home (I am at Campbelltown Library again). Getting a new fridge next week (which uses less power than your average light bulb so all will again be good(except my bank balance)). Also, that Poker game someone mentioned is this something groups can play together online. Being on wireless my latency is so bad that playing FPS/racing is impossible which is a bummer and for some reason Farmville just doesn't appeal).

Comment

Working...
                    X