Yachting to buy or build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yachting to buy or build?

I have come from a family heavily involved in boats and yachts (my home was a 37' Golden Cowrie Heartly for 3 years this is not the boat but similar). I have made a decision that I want to spend a good deal of time on my own Yacht sailing Australia and the rest of the world.

For those who do not know Yachting / Cruising is basically like a Caravan on the water. Have all the amenities that you need to get by and some luxury’s depending on your budget and whatnot.

I have figured to build a boat on the weekends could take me a few (5 – 8) years from design to finish and launching. And would cost me about as much as I could buy one for, however if I built it – would have everything that I want / need to place in it rather than finding that I bought a lemon. Should I start thinking about building as a goal or save my pennies and get something?

Is there any places that you have though to visit and explore via the coast rather than by car / helicopter / other vehicle?

There is a bit of back story to the lemon part I suppose which I can explain in time.

OMG this explains EVERYTHING! you're a fucking Yachtie!

Go and have a chat to John Punch at Nautical Supplies - he's built a few boats over the years, including the Cockatoo (i think that was its name) which won a few Darwin to Ambon races.

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
      OMG this explains EVERYTHING! you're a fucking Yachtie!

Go and have a chat to John Punch at Nautical Supplies - he's built a few boats over the years, including the Cockatoo (i think that was its name) which won a few Darwin to Ambon races.
      I think I have sailed on one of his boats. I can't recall the spelling of the name however know it starts with a G.

Yes I am a grotty yachtie.... But that is only my upbringing haha. I would go down to Nauticles but not living in Darwin it makes it hard .

Comment

update ya fuckin profile loc then ;P

Comment

Working...
        X