Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on short URL + niche editorial focus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on short URL + niche editorial focus?

We're contemplating throwing a stone at two birds for the site rebuild which will use vB5, I thought I'd throw the idea out there to get your feedback:

1. Shifting the editorial focus to something narrower than games generally, as casting a wide net in recent years didn't lead to any real success. We just can't compete with the big news sources. The focus would become what has me more excited than my Voodoo 2 8MB graphics card did: VR gaming. We could even put emphasis on launching and specifically supporting servers for games that are "VR ready".

2. Doing so would enable us to pickup a short URL relevant to that, which would be better for generally accessing the site, fit into more places conveniently (advertising, game server names). The domain would be guvr.com - I've been in contact with the seller and he's willing to sell it for a reasonable price.

Ultimately not much will change, apart from us potentially attracting new members specifically interested in VR gaming/discussion, and having a tiny web address.
    Last edited by rec; 25-01-13, 08:59 PM.

I don't get the 'broader focus' vs a 'wider net' - you mean a more refined focus yeah? eg: VR gaming rather than in general?

I don't have a clue about GU's traffic numbers, but we seemed to have a lot more going on when articles were going up regularly.

Comment

Broad/casting a wide net is what we once did - hardware, games, industry - the whole box and dice. Which was largely a failure from an activity and member acquisition standpoint due to the fact there are hundreds of more comprehensive sources.

The focus of editorial would become more narrowed. Focused on VR, but still veering off to cover other topics. As you mentioned on Steam: targeting an untapped demographic.
      Last edited by rec; 25-01-13, 07:00 PM.

Comment

it is very niche, If the occulus rift takes off, it could be an excellent preemptive decision.

If it doesn't, not much difference to now, apparently we're very popular with french spammers.

Is there anything else to discuss other than occulus rift though? maybe that razer stick thing for sword fighting.

Comment

I don't think there's any real doubt VR gaming is about to become very big, in my opinion at least.

Oculus has the support of Carmack and Gabe, as well as other major studios and their engines. They're all throwing weight and development teams behind it with the firm belief it'll not only revolutionise video games, but eventually entertainment, and set the foundation for augmented virtuality.

Not too sure about that Hydra controller from Razer, though.

Comment

It can't hurt, put it that way.

Comment

cant get any worse?

Comment

Originally posted by Unseen View Post
                cant get any worse?
                ^^

But seriously if you want to put news up on the home page I am all for it. Not going to make me go there any more or any less.
                GU has been dieing for some time now. Less posts. Less threads. Less posting members, although I am not posting more there is just little threads that hold anything of use.

VR - go for it. I know I don't have the money or the patience to deal with that.

The last time something was good when we were all playing BFBC2. BF3 was good, grew and fizzled quickly.

Mumble had been an issue and lost a few of the people that lurked there all the time, and I know a heap of people that have gone to the Razer P2P voip option in its place.

Comment

Vr, seriously? it'll be a fad like 3d

Comment

Working...
                  X