Android apps: top picks so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android apps: top picks so far

Okies. The iPhone app thread has kicked me in the arse to do an Android one. Having only used the phone for a few days my experience is limited... but hopefully there will be something here for everyone.

Edit: I'm slowly adding the QR codes under each app title. Get Barcode Scanner to use them. Then you don't have to search the app store to find them! I didn't embed the images... :\

FeedR (paid)

This is a great RSS reader that can sync with Google Reader. Really nice customisable interface and intuitive "mark as read" taps.

Vignette (paid)

Fantastic instant photo effects. Create really pro looking shots with this extensively featured application. Make settings before taking the photo and it will process a rough to preview then actually reprocess the photo in the background while you're taking more shots. (Those of you who are facebook friends with me, check out my last two album posts). There is a demo available if you want to try it out first.

Quickpedia (free)

Really, really fast Wikipedia lookups.

Urbanspoon (free)

Lists restaurants in your immediate area. Shake to pick at random.

Shazam (free)

Don't know what song's playing? Shazam does.

LED Desire (free)

Tailored specifically for the HTC Desire's LED, this torch will blaze a hole in your eyes.

Aussie Weather Radar (free)
    See if there's a storm a comin'.

Astro File Manager (free)

Fully featured file manager for Android.

Wolfraroid (free)

Awesome search app for Wolfram Alpha. Uses Google voice technology - so you just tell it what you're looking for.

Movie Finder (free)

Displays movie times for various cinemas in your area. You can also watch trailers using this app.

Kindle (free)

Read books and stuff. Many free ones at Amazon.

Facebook chat (free)

Chat on facebook. (tbh this was the first app I found. I'm not sure it's one of the better ones. Does the job though.)

Epicurious (free)

Recipes with pictures and shopping lists and shit.

Rock Player (free)

Plays everything I've thrown at it so far including MKVs.

Talk to me (free)

Using Google voice tech, this one translates what you're saying into a gazillion different languages. It shows you in text what you said and also shows the text in the language you're outputting to. It also says it in this crazy robotic voice.

Qik (free)

Stream video live to your Qik account. It's a step up from calling your friends from rock concerts they couldn't make it to.

Barcode Scanner (free)

Cool for looking up products online via their barcode. Also good for scanning those new quick link barcodes you see around the traps these days (square things with little random black squares in them? I might try and find them for these apps and post back).

Google Goggles (free)

This is some impressive shit. Uses image recognition of some description to work out what you've taken a photo of. Take a photo of the McDonalds "M" for example and it will recognise it and smash out some google search results for McDonalds on your phone. Awesome. I took a pic of the Die Hard Bluray and it not only got the right movie in the results, but the right media too. Also took a photo of a 360 controller and it recognised it. Pretty impressive stuff.

Layar (free)

Use it to find pretty much anything in your vicinity... restaurants, servos, bottleshops, whatever. It's an augmented reality app so you basically hold up the phone look around (camera is on) and you can press on places as they come up on the screen. Worst explanation ever. Awesome app though. Google it.

Places directory (free)

Kind of like above but without the augmented reality. Heaps quicker to use though if you're organising, but not out and about yet.

Well that's it for now. Any additions?

Edit: If you want to look at the Android market without an Android phone, go here:
    cyrket.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cyrket.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The #1 Android Website for geeks who are looking after everything Android including the best deals, tutorials, accessories, gadgets and more.

Search Google Play and discover the best Android apps from AppBrain, the leading Android app directory.
    Last edited by ResLo; 27-07-10, 09:21 PM. Reason: added Appbrain.com

Wewt, ta. Time consuming to go through all the apps.

Comment

Android IRC - Paid
      The first real decent IRC chat.

Color Flashlight - Free
      Turns your phone screen white and full brightness to use as a sudo flashlight.

AK Notepad - Free
      For reading text files to copy say your wep key from the SD card.

Comment

Good list GI - some in there I haven't found yet.

I can vouch for Astro. Great file manager. It can also install stand alone apk files for you as well as uninstall.

Movie finder found my suburb and the offered me cinemas nowhere near me. I've always found what I wanted in Citysearch (Preloaded on Telstra ROMS) fine for this.

For what its worth my additions are (all for free u.n.o):

Google Navigation - [APPMOD][24.06.10] Brut Google Maps 4.3.0.4305-brut14 - xda-developers. Brings you full turn by turn navigation for free using the google maps. This is a hacked version as its only meant to be working for the US UK and Ireland right now. I use it daily. Too many features to speak of make this the best navigation system I've ever seen. It's fully integrated into everything google can touch on the phone.

Taskpanel lite - Kill apps you want to kill (if needed) and take back control.

Google Sky Map - Out and about with your loved one under the stars... turn this baby on and point your phone to the sky to see the constellations and spot where the Planets are.

3G Watchdog - keep track of your downloaded and uploaded data.

Australia TV Droid - Not the best TV guide as it only sees 3 days in advance but it does have Foxtel.

IMDB - Self explanatory.

Tapatalk - For viewing and posting on your top GU forum when your out and about(paid).

Games

Blow up lite - Plant your bombs and watch the structure fall.

Air control lite - A surpisingly addictive game with minimal GFX but brilliant touch screen interface.

Bonsai Blast - Played Zuma on your PC? this is kind of the same.

Jewels - One of the Top free apps in the market for a reason.

Sports

Total Footy - Get your live AFL scores here.

F1 Live Racing - Great app for all things F1 including a news feed and live timing.

RugbyNut Live Score - All the top world competitions.
        Last edited by ResLo; 21-07-10, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Even though i wont use the apps i have always been curious about what and why those bar-codes things are in my Japanese torrent files.

Comment

How could I forget Skymap! ... and Tapatalk obviously. :p

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

Some new ones I've downloaded and tried. All are free.

Apps Organizer - Group your apps (say games) into one icon/folder (similar to the new feature on the iphone 4).

Handcent SMS - Better SMS client then the default HTC one. Widget is smaller and GUI much better.

XDA Developers - An app to view and post on the XDA forums.

Appbrain - Its an Android Market app. Browse on your desktop at AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market select new apps and then sync them (or uninstall them) remotely. More useful then it may seem at first as it also keeps a record of what you;ve installed for easy reinstall after a reset or new ROM load say.

Timerific - Schedule for your phone to go silent at midnight and back on at 8am. Can also control wifi, bluetooth etc. Switch them all off at night (or a specific time) and then choose when to reactivate.

Qik - Live video streaming

Comment

Handcent SMS was great until it made all my appstore downloads not even start. I uninstalled Handcent and then all the shit I'd queued instantly downloaded. Silly program.

Comment

Check out Smart Measure res... it's right up your alley.

Edit: Ok. It's an AWESOME app. Very accurate from what I can tell... but I don't have anything to measure properly.

Unfortunately though, it smashes your battery. Big time.
                  Last edited by grandinferno; 24-07-10, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Another for the list. Get the paid version.

Launch-X pro. It's a widget that you can put program shortcuts in. Basically now on the bottom half my home screen there is a 4x6 grid of icons instead of 2x4. Lots of options and very customisable. Great stuff.

Comment

I saw Smart ruler and dismissed it but didnt notice Smart Measure, that'll come in handy for sure.

Launch-x : I'd rather use folders (via Apps Oganizer) than cram more onto the screen. I like the default 1x1 size but some widgets could use their alloted space better.

Comment

More on App Brain...

Here is my list of programs installed if anyone wants the full list > reslo's Apps on the phone

Here is a link to XDA guys who have also shared their lists > AppBrain App List Links - xda-developers

Comment

Wicked. Here's mine.

grandinferno's Apps on the phone

Comment

I installed Swype last night and I'm loving it. Just follow the tutorial and you'll pick it up in no time.

Swype apk file - Swype 1.47.24.6826 for Nexus1/HTC Desire (480×800) | GameStrikes.com

Comment

Nah saw Swipe, but then I saw this...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by grandinferno; 27-07-10, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X