iinet wins appeal - win for the industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iinet wins appeal - win for the industry

The telco industry has applauded the Federal Court dismissing an appeal for the landmark copyright case brought against iiNet by copyright action group the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT).
    Seems it was close with 2 judge's voting for dismissal and 1 against.
    Industry welcomes iiNet appeal win - Communications - News

AFACT executive director Neil Gane said iiNet must take responsibility for copyright infringement on its network.

"This is a case where the ISP had admitted to tens of thousands of copyright infringements on its network, and it does not have to lift a finger to prevent them," Gane said.

"It cannot be right that in effect the ISP, who has the power to prevent copyright infringement online and has admitted they are taking place, does not share the responsibility to stop it."
    After 2 years of abject failure they are still spouting the same shit that lost them the case.. so funny.

Wait till they get paid to enforce it, then im sure the ISP's will be right on it.

Comment

Hey... when'd we get like buttons????

Comment

facebook-underground :p

Comment

TBH I find this pretty funny. Studying business at uni atm and they're using examples like General Motors vs Toyota - one fighting regulation that enforces MPG limits and one adapting to the market with low MPG cars like the Prius. Guess who came out a winner and who went bankrupt and had to be bailed out by the US government? I can see a lot of the current media companies going the same way. Seriously, Steam has already developed an excellent model in the PC games market, it's a matter of adapting this for TV and film. I know there have been some attempted startups using this model and iTunes the iVirus does something similar but I'd love to see a non-iWank company with real industry clout leading the way. Seriously, if I was an exec at Sony, Universal, Fox, etc, I'd crawl through barbed wire to talk to Valve about adapting their Steam software to other media. OTOH, after seeing some of the shows cancelled by Fox, they can go DIAF.

Comment

US studios avoided Telstra battle and went after iiNet instead in copyright case | The Australian

Comment

put some effort into decent digital distribution methods of your own instead of picking on our shit. fucking dickbags.

Comment

Dirty bastids.

Comment

Actual calbe if anyone wants to read.
                  Cable Viewer

Comment

iinet wins second and final appeal.

The High Court has thrown out an appeal by the some of the world's biggest media companies to stop internet piracy after it excused Australian service provider iiNet from policing unauthorised downloads.A group of 34 international and Australian companies, including industry heavyweights Warner Bros, Disney and the Seven Network, had alleged that iiNet had authorised the infringement of their copyright when its customers downloaded movies and television programs.

The movie companies had argued that iiNet had the power to prevent its customers from infringing copyright by issuing warnings and suspending or terminating customer accounts.However, the High Court found that iiNet had no direct technical power to prevent its customers from using the BitTorrent file-sharing system to infringe copyright.
                    iiNet wins landmark copyright case | News | Business Spectator

Comment

Working...
                    X