iOS 5 is winning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iOS 5 is winning

Been running the beta for a while now and it's easily the biggest, bestest release Apple have made. Some of the awesomeness I'm enjoying:

- Safari Reader means plain-text reading of articles, and the ability to save it to read later or when offline.
    - Red-eye reduction built-in.
    - Tweet from most places inside the OS.
    - Reminders system that integrates into Gmail/Exchange tasks. You can even append geo-location reminders using GPS co-ordinates.
    - iMessage (if you send an SMS to another Apple device, it's free, as it's actually an IP message).
    - New notification system, including lock-screen information (finally).
    - FaceTime address can be phone number or e-mail, even on phones (so all FaceTime devices can conveniently video call).

But easily the biggest thing is that I can finally ditch the reliance on iTunes, and forget even having to plug my phone into a PC...

- iCloud/Wi-Fi sync means my books, photos, apps, notes and music etc. are all synced with Apple's cloud network. Any device with my iTunes account (e.g. Elle) automatically gets all of that content, all over-the-air. My iPhone "backup" (inc. settings etc) are also all automatically synced to their cloud. If I get a new device, I just login with my Apple ID, and presto everything is back how I had it. So good.

Is the backup faster? That's my biggest issue with my iphone :p

Comment

Dunno - it just happens in the background. It's something you just don't need to worry about again.

Comment

how can i get the beta?

Comment

Need to have an Apple Developer account, or know someone who does.

Comment

any idea when the release will be? anything more specific than 'fall 2011' would be good.

Comment

It will be with little doubt be released with the next iPhone. Which is rumoured to be August last I heard.

Comment

so is it true you can change your email tone ? or message tone to a file you create yourself.. i have heard yes and no stories its pissing me off not being able to change these to what i want not what apple put on my phone lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Korny View Post
                  so is it true you can change your email tone ? or message tone to a file you create yourself.. i have heard yes and no stories its pissing me off not being able to change these to what i want not what apple put on my phone lol.
                  What? You can't pick your own message tone on the iphone?

Comment

you kinda can its just more complicated...

Comment

The reason they've made it inconvenient is purely marketing, as far as I'm concerned. It's creating an audible recognition of product - the same way we all know a Nokia when we hear some of the default tones.

Comment

it's creating retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                          The reason they've made it inconvenient is purely marketing, as far as I'm concerned. It's creating an audible recognition of product - the same way we all know a Nokia when we hear some of the default tones.
                          Did you know, the nokia message tone that goes dit dit dit, dee dee, dit dit dit is actually morse code for SMS?

Comment

Your post has inspired me to code a 'dislike' button.

Comment

Pfft, trivia is awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X