Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faster the the speed of light.. err neutrino.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster the the speed of light.. err neutrino.

Looks like light is getting beat.
    Incredible if confirmed.
    BBC News - Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern
    Puzzling results from Cern, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists - because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second early.

RobotRollCall comments on Why exactly can nothing go faster than the speed of light?

Comment

OD posted!!! does this mean MC server is updated?

Comment

It's on the list 1.8.1 or 1.9 leak?

Comment

better go 1.8.1 - just to be safe ;p

and can we keep the current world?

Comment

speed of light exceeded :o .... but lets not dwell on such trivial things... is the Minecraft Server updated!? with the current world?

Comment

Well if you compress the map and put it into a zip file. I could download it for you and edit it offline if you would like me to take a stab at that? See if we can remove that dogey area and replace it with nice clean area?

MCEdit: Minecraft World Editor (Compatible with MC Beta 1.8!) - Minecraft Forum

EDIT: ill post this in the MC thread also.

Comment

Back on topic
                The paper is here http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1109/1109.4897.pdf

Haven't finished reading it yet but wonder if they missed something simple like the movement of the earth. Physicist have missed just as simple things in the past.

Comment

Not that I doubt that as a whole, we really don't know shit about the universe and how it works... and this could well be correct, but I am leaning toward this being an error in calculations. I mean, there's a lot to work out when something is travelling that far on a planet spinning round a star.

Then again, science is not my strong point. I'll just nod and gesture a little to look smart.

Comment

My immediate assumption was that it was an error somewhere in the calculations. Especially because it was an entirely unintended discovery and it came down to 60ns difference in detection. Nano being billionths of a second. That's not much.

I read somewhere yesterday that the GPS they were using to determine location was sensitive enough to detect continental drift. Ironic because they appear to have broken relativity, which is used to make gps work.

Comment

Funny, I read that even taking into account the error factor it was still faster.... Time will tell.... ha.

Comment

I'm thinking more along the lines that the time discrepancy was a weird side effect of their experiment, which would lead me to think it's probably some part of their experiment that didn't receive complete attention because it wasn't the main focus.

Like say, 60ns is about 1 clock cycle on a 16Mhz microprocessor, which is a common enough frequency to use. Might just be something like a rising edge vs falling edge detection error.

Occams's razor says fuckup more likely that rewriting physics as we know it. It'd be nice to beleive, but I think media blowup of some error is more likely
                        Last edited by Harbinger; 16-10-11, 01:37 PM. Reason: wrong razor

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	x-files-i-want-to-believe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	597071

Comment

They also think it's a measuring error.

The repeated the experiment 15,000 times and still couldn't find any errors, so they opened up their research for everyone else to look at and see if they can find the mistake.

Comment

Working...
                            X