• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC Guts - Final Sanity Check.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Motherboard $189.00
    Intel Core i5 2500K $229.00
    G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $65.00

Sub-Total: $483.00

So I've been reading and internally debating this shit for a week, Just going to run it past you fuckers to see if I've missed anything horrific. Going with the asrock because I've decided to be tight, and everything else in it's category is 300+. Ram is because it's on the front page of pccg and it seems cheap. But i've also read two random pricks on the internet say 1600/1.5v ram is the shit for i5 2500k.

This is the beginning of an upgrade cycle so I don't need advice on other hardware yet. This is replacing an e8500/GA-X48-DS5 combo. I will also be leaving the cpu cooler stock until I've finished upgrading other parts.

That's the same motherboard/CPU combo I just bought along with 2x4GB 1600/1.5v Corsair ram. No issues at all, performance is excellent. If you plan on attaching a big aftermarket cooler in the future, might want to consider some lower profile RAM like this stuff I bought as the fan on my Noctua NH-12 just barely clears the stick in slot 1. RAM slots are positioned much closer to the CPU than on my s775 P5Q Pro board. Also picked up a 128GB SSD at the same time, love the speed (up to 500MB/s read ) but its annoying to have to manage space on my OS drive for the first time in years.

Comment

maybe spend the $100 extra and go for the i7 2600k? i know it seems like a fair bit for a bigger cache but still...

Comment

These fit perfectly under the NH-D14. Nfi on dimensions.

Originally posted by mepm View Post
        maybe spend the $100 extra and go for the i7 2600k? i know it seems like a fair bit for a bigger cache but still...
        In practicality, it's 3/8ths of fuck-all in gaming really. It uses less power, so less heat and saves $100.

Comment

Ok will go with the low profile ram, even though it weighs so much more than the Gskill stuff that pccg think they should charge $70 more to ship it by air. Will have to split the order into two bags to game their freight system.

Comment

Bought! now to wait.

Seperated mobo from the rest of the stuff to get $12x2 shipping instead of $85.

Comment

Now you have thinking of upgrading when you show me things like that.

Comment

Working...
              X