XBox 360/PS3 Failures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBox 360/PS3 Failures?

I understand that many of you folks in here are console gamers, and I've seen/heard of a few of these consoles failing with 3RROD or YLOD. Has this happened to many people? What did you do with your busted consoles? (if they were out of warranty) Did you try to fix them yourselves? Did you send them away for repair? Or did you just forget about them and just buy a new one?

Someone brought me a YLOD ps3 to attempt a fix on. I baked the chips with a hot air gun and partially melted one of his SMD mosfet casings. Appeared to fix it but it was a trick and by the time I reassembled it was back to it's old tricks.

I assume it went to the tip after that.

Comment

My 360 RROD'ed twice.

The microsoft warranty will cover a RROD even if it's after the 3 years, they just don't say it very much. Lodge the claim online, pack it in a box, get a new one in less than a month. Easy as pie.

My PS3 has never skipped a beat though, although a few people I know have had issues, I vacuum it when I dust the house (using a proper computer vac) so I keep mine nice and dust free, apparently the YLOD is normally due to heat messing up a solder joint somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BrAiN DaNcE View Post
        My 360 RROD'ed twice.

The microsoft warranty will cover a RROD even if it's after the 3 years, they just don't say it very much.
        Thats interesting to know, too bad I've just busted one open for someone and re-lubed the GPU/CPU after ditching the x-clamps...

cheers for the feedback, I had considered shelling out for a reflow/reballing machine, and wondered if any of the costs could be recovered with console repairs.

Comment

Hey Jabsy,
          My GF's son had his PS3 YLOD on him. His dad shelled out for a new one cause he's FOTY!! ;-)

I was thinking of taking it to noofsmods in Melbourne but most places seem to want around $150 to do it with no guarantee of how long it will last.

Comment

Working...
          X