Split Steam games across two hard drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Steam games across two hard drives

Given I've just purchased Deus:EX and L.A. Noire, I want to install and play them over the remainder of the holidays (well start them at least), but there is no more room on my 120G SSD.

Now I know rec will tell me to just go buy another SSD but I did a quick google and found this neat little program.

http://stefanjones.ca/steam/ aka "Steamtool Library Manager"

I haven't installed it yet but will do later today. Anyone else using this method?

edit (Works for Vista and W7 only)
    Last edited by ResLo; 02-01-12, 04:26 PM.

I used the manual method of "mklink /j source destination" for a long time, but more recently I've been using

Do you have a super-fast SSD that is too small to hold all your steam games at the same time? Then try Steam Mover.

which is the same method with a GUI.

From the looks of steam tools, It seems to be the same thing, except you can reverse add games from the off-drive after you reformat or whatever. Which is fairly useful.

Comment

Already been through this and was going to say create NTFS Junction points but looks people have made some nice steam specific GUI programs to do this.

Comment

I've been using that Steamtool Library Manager since getting an SSD several months ago. No problems with it, very simple to use. I've got a couple of WD Black 640GBs in raid so my load times are still pretty decent.

Comment

Yes its based on the NTFS Junction points but in a very nice simple GUI.

I've moved three games to the 'storage folder' freeing up space to download the 20G required for the new ones, so simple to use although its not without some minor issues. Two of my games failed to start but a simple game cache verification fixed that. I'm not going to blame the program for those however as I've recently upgraded my SSD's firmware to deal with a chkdsk error which I reckon had deleted some of the game files.

Comment

Working...
          X