Insurance pc parts claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance pc parts claims

My olde desktop recently took a nose dive into motherboard failure ( fried some shit and died) and left a rank, burnt, escaped magic white smoke smell in my room

I have been told by my insurer ( after i called up to find out wtf was going on with my claim) that i can, and have gotten a quote from a computer parts wholesaler to replace my motherboard, ram and cpu as it was a custom build. They will pay me the monies and i can buy the replacement parts from someone else who is not harvey norman and the like.

The only condition is that it has to be like for like, not an upgrade. The explination given was if i had a 2 yr old XPS top o the line lappy it would be replaced by todays top of the line XPS lappy.

Has anyone been through this scenario??
    Im looking at old quadcore to new quadcore, old top of the line M/B for new top of the line M/B, and rather than save money and buy 16gb ram for under half of what 8gb cost me, another 8gb ram ( following thier rules). But at just under 1k itll be interesting to see if TIO come to the party.

most insurers. well mine at least, i got the quote as u have and they just dropped the cash in my account. then i went shopping and bought whatever i wanted.

normally the way it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Unseen View Post
      most insurers. well mine at least, i got the quote as u have and they just dropped the cash in my account. then i went shopping and bought whatever i wanted.

normally the way it works.
      This.

Once you put in the claim and the computer store backs it up with a report, you'll just get cash in your account one day. Don't think they give a **** what you do with it. You could spend it on cocaine and hookers for all they care.

Comment

@ Computers For You I found that when customers brought stuff in for insurance reports that TIO were the easiest to deal with. Give customer report, see customer next couple of days for new stuff. E Z

Comment

Never thought to insure my computer, but we did a custom build so it might be a good idea. Glad I came across this, do you guys have some good company recommendations?

Comment

You just list list it as a special item on your contents depending on the requirements of your policy.

Comment

I ended up getting a quote from PC case gear and sending that in to TIO, the agreed to pay me out the monies to replace the parts that were stuffed.

I spent about $200 more and upgraded from I7 1155 intel stuff ( as per the quote i handed TIO, I was not allowed to upgrade but had to replace like for like) and went for I7 2011 setup.

I have nothing specific on my insurance for my pc's but it was covered under house and contents.

Comment

Working...
              X