Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DGA ceasing all Lans until further notice

Gamers,

It has been bought to my attention that the cost of the Greek School to hire is $600 per lan.

Effectively in order to cover this cost we need to ensure we have at least 30 gamers at the event and then an additional $75 to cover the insurance. From my understanding the last DGA event was less than 20 people.

I cannot confirm this to be exact but neverless there were not 30 present hence we now appear to owe the Greek School some dollars that we need to make up before the next lan.

So as the current President and with the support of the vice president I have only one real option here unless things improve.

There will be no further lans sanctioned or allowed at the Greek School using the DGA name. As an organisation and a registered association we need to protect ourselves and ensure we remain within the confines of the regulations.

The idea of the DGA registration page is for the organisers to analyse if there are enough participants to cover the costs of the DGA. We run a non profit organisation. The DGA registration page shows 29 registered participants and I know from the past that we usually lose between 5 and 15% due to other commiments.

If you want to run a DGA event, you will either contact myself or Unseen for approval, either way we are both to be informed.

If you continue and run it anyway, you will be held accountable for the losses and make up the shortfall yourselves.

Myself and other admins and commitee members have said this before that unless the gamers and participants come back, the lans are not cost effective and I for one do not want to dip into my own pocket hundreds of dollars just to cover an event that should have been cancelled if the numbers did not add up.

I will need to call a meeting in the very near future to discuss the future of DGA as it may result in having one lan per year if we dont get the support.

I dont say this lightly so please read and understand the reasons why we need to take these steps.

If we dont have the numbers or support our hands are tied.

We need 40 people. If the numbers are not there in the DGA signup page prior to the lan, it wont go ahead. There are no exceptions.

Sponge
    Last edited by SpongeBobSquarePants; 20-05-07, 08:22 PM.

$600 to hire a venue, that's an incrediable amount! I had no idea it was that costly. Can we investigate alternatives? Or has this road already been travelled?
    I've never been to one of the DGA lans, but always assumed that loads of people went along.

Comment

you will find alternative will actually be more expensive(well if you want aircon).

Comment

Originally posted by lrinaldi View Post
        $600 to hire a venue, that's an incrediable amount! I had no idea it was that costly. Can we investigate alternatives? Or has this road already been travelled?
        I've never been to one of the DGA lans, but always assumed that loads of people went along.
        600 is a good price
        you look at venues that are similar eg, the cyprus hall in marrara/karama its 1200

Comment

venue cost isnt the issue here.

It is people through the door. IE numbers per lan .. which atm, isnt enough to make DGA a viable lan.

Comment

damn. greek school went up to 600!

Comment

yep

Comment

A sad day indeed, that DGA ceases operation indefinately. Anyone have that old pic of Howie with his shirt off? How about me and my hair? How about the first Evo? *nostalgic tear

LAN's are a fleeting craze, as I was saying on the |nAp| forums in relation to the comparatively tiny attendance at Valhalla in SA (180 people vs their old 600+ people monsters 3 years ago)...

Originally posted by rec
                I think truth of the matter is that LAN is dying. Higher speed internet connections at home, plus a lack of truly brilliant games (and/or older gamers resigning to a jaded outlook regarding games) are contributing factors.

It seems newer, younger gamers aren't finding the concept of a LAN as riviting as we all once did. As older gamers stop going, newer ones aren't filling their boots quick enough.

We're seeing this trend of smaller-numbers at LAN parties all around Australia. Queensland's QGL shutting its doors was the first big sign.
                And as Unseen then pointed out; people are also getting lazier. Sure we've got LCD screens and wireless peripherals, but it's still becoming too much of a chore for people (packing it all up, setting it up, packing it up, setting it up).

Comment

I never minded moving my gear really.
                  The biggest thing that killed LAN's for me (well, one of two reasons) was the lack of amazing MP games.

Back in the day ADSL was new on the scene and spending the weekend catching up with mates, talking shit, then blowing them away in CS - man, what else did you need?!

Combine that with my MMO fanatasism and most of my gaming buddies who stopped attending, there was no attraction remaining.

Comment

wow killed the lan

Comment

you cant blame 1 thing for it.

Fast ADSL .. I mean 24mb / 8mb gives the same ping you get on lan in your house.
                      MMO's came on strong, and to play you need to be online and DGA has never had a strong or realiable ADSL or internet link at all.

And combine that with people just dont want to do it anymore and you have this problem DGA has now.

I have discussed the problems with Sponge, and will continue to talk them through to see if we cant resolve these problems.

Comment

was always going to happen sorry to say, been going downhill scince the amazing evo 3. such a shame.

Comment

DGA shouldnt need or try to compete with the internet

DGA needs to offer what online cant like: interaction, different games, competitions and it failed to do it

i went to DGA for orgonized gaming, however there was nothing orgonized about the DGA gaming.
                          if i wanted random gaming i could of stayed at home and done it online

things nearly kicked off when we tried to get a css comp going, people showed up there was chatter leading up to it. unfortunately we couldnt get it running i think if that had of worked we would be having a different conversation right now

Comment

Originally posted by insidious View Post
                            DGA shouldnt need or try to compete with the internet

DGA needs to offer what online cant like: interaction, different games, competitions and it failed to do it

i went to DGA for orgonized gaming, however there was nothing orgonized about the DGA gaming.
                            if i wanted random gaming i could of stayed at home and done it online

things nearly kicked off when we tried to get a css comp going, people showed up there was chatter leading up to it. unfortunately we couldnt get it running i think if that had of worked we would be having a different conversation right now
                            Hrmmm it depends.
                            DGA was at its peak when CS was the game of choice.
                            When the comps and interest in CS died, so did the numbers.

Harb did a fkn awesome job at reviving it when he was still attending though.
                            He made Time-tables, rallied enthusiasm for games and lesser-played Mods (Deathball kkthnx) and we saw some interest in gaming at DGA's again - it was great.

Unfortunately after he stopped going, nobody really picked up the torch and it fizzled again.

Comment

For any LAN to succeed there's needs to be a steady flow of of tournaments all day in a variety of games, that's for sure. The Valhalla just past saw Tekken 5, Flatout 2, CSS, Quake 3, MOH:AA and many more get a run in.

If you're getting 30-150 people in a room without a games schedule and expect them to make their own fun it's not going to happen - you need 300+ for that to eventuate. With small numbers and no guide you'll end up with a few people playing CS in a public server, a few people playing WarCraft, a few people playing StarCraft, a few people playing Battlefield and so on, all simultainiously, and all oblivious to the other games running... the others sit there leeching and quickly become bored out of their mind.

I still think one of the biggest problems is that MMO's are the most popular game at the moment and CS is dying... it's going to take another few super-popular shooters to revive interest in leaving your Guild Wars, LOTR Online or WOW client at home, packing up and heading off to a LAN.

My game of choice at the last Valhalla was Flatout 2, that's how shit poor the games available to play are. I'll definately be attending Valhalla again for or some ETQW, UT3 and TF2 matches though, when they're released.

Comment

Working...
                              X