Premium Darwin LAN questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premium Darwin LAN questions?

I'm throwing a few idea's around for future major LAN events, and was hoping to get a little information from people who would be interested in these.

First of all, consider it an event like Evo or even Biohazard (not necessarily either thought in this case) held in the past here in Darwin.
    It'll be held in a venue of higher then usual class (ie, lets say the Darwin Convention Centre, or a function room at a hotel) with stable power for everybody, and support for up to and beyond 150 people and their PC's.
    For those who've been to Evo or Biohazard in the original Carlton, that's the feel we'd be looking for.

Can you please answer the poll?
    $30-$40 Lan over 2 nights at a premium venue.
    6.67%
    $40-$55 Lan over 2 nights at a premium venue.
    46.67%
    $20-$30 Lan over 1 night at a premium venue.
    0.00%
    $30-$40 Lan over 1 night at a premium venue.
    0.00%
    I wouldn't pay more just to be at a premium venue
    13.33%
    I wouldn't mind paying a little more then above if it's within reason.
    33.33%

Im not in Darwin anymore but to me, $55 would be acceptable for a 2 day lan, it's a bit steep for a single nighter IMO.

Comment

i tagged 30-40 over 2 nights, but i'd only be there for one. as per previous LANs though, I have no issue paying the full price for that

Comment

For a two Day event that only happened once or twice a year I would expect to pay $60, and more so I would be quite happy to pay for that. It is say over 48 hours of entertainment, organised events on and off of the computer, and whatmore I would think I would have a chanse at prizes and well braging rights.

Comparing to events ie the Avalon Airshow 2009 I had paid for a single trade day entry of $50 where the public were paying $160 to get in + $10 for car parking. A car show expo I had to pay $20 to get in.

Comment

just remember alot of these lanners are younger kids still in school and the higher price tag is a bit intimidating.

Comment

awesome, filter out the kiddies and bring on the topless barmaids.

Comment

re mungus' comment, can i change my poll response to the last option? and er.. forget my 'only there for one day' line as well

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Of Nih View Post
                just remember alot of these lanners are younger kids still in school and the higher price tag is a bit intimidating.
                That is what I though of on the way home from work. In this case then possibly have a reduced ticket for people under 16. Or something along those lines

Comment

Yeah just have a 16 and below at half price. If you old enough to work you are old enough to pay full entry.

Comment

so, 14 then.

Comment

lol. I'm with Lothar on this one. you would have to advertise it SUPER early to maximize the attendance

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post
                        so, 14 then.
                        Well Id say 15 or 16 as most 14yo's dont work yet.

Comment

Convention center is pretty well covered depending on which room you are in. Waterfront rooms do have issues with the location of some of thier 3 phase outlets(on the roof). It is also a very expensive venue to work in a read the contract very carefully as you will get billed for lots of extras if your not careful.

Crown plaza has two 3 phase outlets in the ballroom one will need to be dropped down from a bio box but that is easy enough they also have a couple of circuits of 10amp in there. The other rooms won't have enough power available. Crowne will likely have the most expensive room rate but will most likely be cheeper than DCC after extras are taken into account.

Sky city only has one room ATM the ballroom which has 2 3phase outlets plus several 10amp circuits.

Holiday Inn ballrooom is likely the cheepest option and has 3 3phase outlets plus several 10amp circuits.

Keep in mind you will most likely need any power distro equipment tagged and you most likely won't be able to sell drinks at the venue.

Comment

i know i am not there so i havnt voted, but ill keep saying the same thing, competitions, the days of going to LAN for random gaming are gone, all the LAN's down here are based around some sort and several different competitions usually a FPS an RPG and a racing game. if you make it worth 50 bucks people will pay it

Comment

Originally posted by Kagetsu View Post
                              For those who've been to Evo or Biohazard in the original Carlton, that's the feel we'd be looking for.
                              Mhmm..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X