Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DGA where should it go? (for everyone who has partaken and run dga)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DGA where should it go? (for everyone who has partaken and run dga)

this is a thread to openly discuss DGA with everyone who has taken part in the creation, support efforts and momentum towards dga, ALL OPINIONS ARE VAILID (unless your a troll then gtfo).

currently, dga's numbers are in decline.
    due to the fact that everyone who is currently helping out or has helped out, is burnt out (from what i can see) and the massif advances in technology/Internet have not helped either.

i am asking everyone who has access to this forum to please place your input, this is important.

moving on:

i propose we start having a real Darwin based Internet presence.

by this i mean we start looking at hosting a server locally in Darwin and start providing service to online gaming in the next 7 months.

where has this idea come from? the ovious trends of Internet speeds and the new DSLAMS that will be implemented in the next 5-9 months (hopfuly). with this internode has shown Great interest.

from what information i have gathered internode provides local routing amongst all of there current hardware, with this we could host and run a server based in Darwin.

granted this whole idea is dependent on Internode providing the correct services but if this implemented DGA can have a massif leap forward into becoming what it was sought out to be.
    a epic lan.

from that we could branch off into bi-monthly ladder matches with various games where the matches are held over a 2 month period and of course the finials played at DGA its self.

a question you may as is "Why now why not just get a server down south?"

its expensive, not easy to support over long periods, and is not something you would want to pass on to the next generation of DGA committee members at a moments notice.

this is just one idea and i know allot of people will double up on similar ideas, but lets get them down on paper and start getting back on track... properly.

thanks for your time

- DragonXR

Originally posted by dragon xr View Post
    this is a thread to openly discuss DGA with everyone who has taken part in the creation, support efforts and momentum towards dga, ALL OPINIONS ARE VAILID (unless your a troll then gtfo).

currently, dga's numbers are in decline.
    due to the fact that everyone who is currently helping out or has helped out, is burnt out (from what i can see) and the massif advances in technology/Internet have not helped either.

i am asking everyone who has access to this forum to please place your input, this is important.

moving on:

i propose we start having a real Darwin based Internet presence.

by this i mean we start looking at hosting a server locally in Darwin and start providing service to online gaming in the next 7 months.

where has this idea come from? the ovious trends of Internet speeds and the new DSLAMS that will be implemented in the next 5-9 months (hopfuly). with this internode has shown Great interest.

from what information i have gathered internode provides local routing amongst all of there current hardware, with this we could host and run a server based in Darwin.

granted this whole idea is dependent on Internode providing the correct services but if this implemented DGA can have a massif leap forward into becoming what it was sought out to be.
    a epic lan.

from that we could branch off into bi-monthly ladder matches with various games where the matches are held over a 2 month period and of course the finials played at DGA its self.

a question you may as is "Why now why not just get a server down south?"

its expensive, not easy to support over long periods, and is not something you would want to pass on to the next generation of DGA committee members at a moments notice.

this is just one idea and i know allot of people will double up on similar ideas, but lets get them down on paper and start getting back on track... properly.

thanks for your time

- DragonXR
    Sounds great.

My suggestion is to add some more content to the site.
    Eg; add new photos of the server hardware, setup etc and eventually pics of people and everybody packed in the room.

I think people outside of DGA view it as a close closed off club that kinda makes them not come in and try it out as they would feel awkward.

Another suggestion. If you start getting some decent numbers. Maybe have a hall of fame section for people/teams that win comps. Alot of people want their 15mins of fame and something to show off on their social media estate.

Basically, need a certain motivation for them to keep coming back time after time.

Comment

biggest thing for numbers: get the word out and keep it out there. Your best numbers, while I've been coming along, have followed lots of talk in the forums and facebook. Otherwise it looks like you guys aren't interested which obviously encourages the same from potential attendees.

Buzz, buzz, motherfucker, you can't beeat it

Comment

Biggest problem i have is purely timing, i have no issues cruising along to a DGA when i have the time, but end of the month always seems to be busy weekends for me.

The local server sounds like a good idea, especially the gaming Finals actually needing to be at DGA to compete would add that extra level of competition feel.

Comment

Great idea, Dragon.

I think having the Darwin-based Gamers@Octa4/GU servers in the early days did big things for keeping the community tight-nit between DGA events. It helped promote those events, grow the community, and keep people interested.

If you can run servers in Darwin that provide clearly superior pings to the locals than ones in Adelaide/Melb, then you're going to get a lot of Darwinites playing on them.

By simply having the servers names and MOTD's setup nicely, you've just set yourself up to "get the word out" via the best channel possible; multiplayer gaming.

Comment

Is there some way to get your routing done in Darwin that I'm unaware of?

To my knowledge, having a server in Darwin is just going to double your pings as your traffic will go to Adelaide and then back.

Comment

I assumed that had changed that, hence the talk of a Darwin-based games server.

If that hadn't been considered, and nothing has changed, then you're best getting the servers in Adelaide.

But then there's no reason for Darwin gamers to play on your servers over anyone elses.

Comment

thought you could manage your own routing if you had static IPs?

Comment

Isn't all the ATM packets directly routed to Sydney first considering that we're just a suburb in their system?

Comment

Your PPP session is terminated in adeliade same with your ATM packets.

Comment

currently, dont know if there is any current local routing, however once the lines are upgraded, and the equipment i brought up to scratch i think it would be in the providers best interest to do local routing for business.

cant find where on whirlpool, but internode has shown interest in the upgrade of Darwin's internet (the black spot project)
                      internode provide local routing with allmost all of their client's and this will be implemented this year.

even if i setup the servers in Darwin and the servers are stored on a online or offline state, the hardware is still there, and if worse comes to worse, we still have a Dedicated gaming server for dga.

any other ideas that DGA could use?

Comment

I know node offer local routing if they have their own hardware but don't know if it applies between normal internet connection as I've only enquired about dedicated links between office sites. Node have bump a couple of the DSLAM upgrades off the agenda and have added the darwin exchanges to the list (was all of them including palmerston based on the list I saw) now that the competive backhaul due here some. Added bonus is I think we might be on the next stage of the NBN roll out but that not affect us until late next year.

Comment

There is local routing in darwin but i have only seen it work on business connections rather then personal adsl i know when the NBN comming it will all be local.
                          If node Dslam up here (which they are planning too) all node clients will be on local routing..
                          Maybe you could ask node for some type of hosting sponsership i know they are always keen to promote themselfs in NT.

Comment

some thing i would suggest, is maybe smaller lans more often, and then 1 big one a month, so say 1 fortnight run a small lan 10-15ppl sorta size, and then the normal monthly lan the other fortnight. would probably be hard to find a small venue though.

Comment

I haven't quite read the entire thread but I read the first few posts about the Competition Finals being held at DGA its self but a good idea too would be to hold competition events within DGA its self with Randomized teams for certain specific games, that way it forces people into breaking out of their bubbles and being introduced to new players within the LAN its self. This will force them to become more social with each other and then you don't end up with elitist teams who only stick to their groups, and allow players to enjoy them selves and feel more involved with the DGA Community.

This would be also a good way to help with new-comers who really do want to meet the majority of the people at DGA and will also help spread word around. The main problem is people feeling like their left out during DGA's, meaning their not enjoying it to the full potential, leaving them to thinking "Hey, I would enjoy this more on the Internet back at home".

Now I don't know if this ideas been pitched already, but I thought I would share my view.

Comment

Working...
                              X