Schumacher returns to F1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schumacher returns to F1!

Seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher is making a sensational return to Formula One, Ferrari have announced.
    The German motor racing legend, who retired in 2006, will replace injured Felipe Massa in the European Grand Prix in Valencia on August 23, and possibly for the remainder of the season.

"The Ferrari-Marlboro team plans to give Michael Schumacher Felipe Massa's car until the Brazilian returns to competition," Ferrari announced in a statement on its website carried by Italian news agency ANSA.

The statement added: "Michael Schumacher says he is available and in the coming days he will pursue a specific programme of preparation at the end of which it will be possible to confirm his participation in the European Grand Prix."

Schumacher makes return to F1 - Formula One - Fox Sports

Originally posted by MetalAttack View Post
    Seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher is making a sensational return to Formula One, Ferrari have announced.
    The German motor racing legend, who retired in 2006, will replace injured Felipe Massa in the European Grand Prix in Valencia on August 23, and possibly for the remainder of the season.

"The Ferrari-Marlboro team plans to give Michael Schumacher Felipe Massa's car until the Brazilian returns to competition," Ferrari announced in a statement on its website carried by Italian news agency ANSA.

The statement added: "Michael Schumacher says he is available and in the coming days he will pursue a specific programme of preparation at the end of which it will be possible to confirm his participation in the European Grand Prix."

Schumacher makes return to F1 - Formula One - Fox Sports
    this rumor started yesterday, was shot down last night, was confirmed he would this morning and now is dependant on how he feels after his testing and training. hard to keep up....

Comment

This is a mistake if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
        Big mistake. It's going to be like Michael Jordan's come back... big ba-bow.
        Seems more like an 'oh shit' from Ferrari and they want someone they can trust.

Comment

Oh totally - it's the most convenient option, and one that results in a mulitple world championship winner behind the seat.

Good move from Ferrari, potentially bad move from Schumacher. He has nothing to gain, and everything to lose. Retiring as a legend and many years later coming back hasn't worked out very well for many other sporting stars.

Comment

2 1/2 years is 'many' ? Armstrong was out for what, 4? and he did alright in his comeback.

Comment

Coming back from being a legend and doing 'ok' is still a failure. I realise a podium finish (Armstrong) is better than ok, though.

There's a few exceptions of people coming back and romping it, no doubt. But then there's Michael Jordan, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike Tyson, Bjorn Borg, Dennis Rodman and perhaps the biggest failed come-back; Muhammad Ali.

Specifically in F1, there's the miserable returns from Alan Jones and Nigel Mansell.

History suggests it doesn't work.

Comment

Its not a 'comeback' he is doing Ferrari a favour, I don't expect him to do anything but finish the race, but atleast I get my Hamilton v. Schumacher dream come true, awesome publicity stunt!

Comment

Hamilton will smash Schumacher HARD.

Comment

I'm not so sure. It will be very interesting.

Comment

BBC Radio Five Live's F1 Analyst, Maurice Hamilton:

"Schumacher's canny racing brain, his ability to think of several things at once while driving at 175 mph, will be as sharp as ever but his fitness will not.

"No amount of graft in the gym will act as a substitute for time spent in the cockpit.

"That burning competitiveness, which clearly has not been extinguished by racing a motorbike and frequently falling off it while being an also-ran, will play havoc with Schumacher's pride if, as suspected, his presence motivates Kimi Raikkonen like never before.

"In the past, the driver in the other Ferrari was number two, even if he dared to be faster, and knew his place. It would be a brave man who suggested to Raikkonen that he should fall into line.

"It is a splendid story for sport, for motor racing, for F1 - but not necessarily for Michael Schumacher in the long run."

Murray Walker:

"It's a gigantic mountain for even him to climb.

"I have no doubt that he will be physically fit and I don't doubt that he's mentally on top of it.

"It's just that he's bound to be rusty and he's got very little time to catch up."

However, those are just quotes that agree with my line of thinking. There is plenty (and I mean plenty) of support from other racing legends who think he can pick up points, if not win a race.

I just can't wait for this race! Webber on top of his game, Vettel super-quick and chasing championship aspirations, Hamilton and his McLaren are winners again... and now Schumacher in a Ferrari that is on the verge of being able to regularly compete for podium finishes.

VALENCIA BABY, YEA!

Comment

Thought I'd split these posts into their own thread, one not about Massa's crash.

Comment

You still have to remember, Schumacher still works with the Formula 1 team, and he is a test driver, so he will still be just as good.

and he is still a completely arrogant must-win cvnt. so he isnt going to be a pushover either

Comment

He is not a "test driver". Far from it.

His responsibility for Ferrari has primarily been the testing of electronics... he has phsically driven a Ferrari F1 car very few times since his retirement. And not once this year.

To quote him specifically;

"I deal with the development of the car inside Gestione Sportiva. We haven't yet scheduled the days when I'll drive the car, nothing's decided. We'll evaluate depending on the situations: if the team need me to, I'd like to drive, but not too often."
                            Schumi in charge of developing cars - F1technical.net

Comment

sorry, i didn't mean test driver for the formula 1 team, but he does drive road ferrari's.

Comment

Working...
                              X