Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished reading evolutionary void, third book in the void series by Peter F Hamilton.

Followed my rule of not reading any till they were all finished, and then re-read the commonwealth saga beforehand.

The series is excellent. I had a lot of difficulty putting any of the three books down, at any point in the story. Which considering they're all 700+ pages long is saying something. Also explains why i'm writing this at 2.30am.

Thoroughly recommend this series, along with all his other books.

edit: You definitely should read the commonwealth saga before you read this series. It might not be wholly necessary, but it gives you a proper backstory and reading this series first will fuck up the commonwealth saga.
    Last edited by Harbinger; 25-09-10, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Adding a few things I've read recently that I can recommend to people.

Joseph Heller - Catch 22 - I think this was good.

Robert A. Heinlein - The moon is a harsh mistress - I liked this novel.

Mike Carey - Felix Castor Novels, 5 novels in all, so far.
      Follows an exorcist in Modern-ish London, in a world where ghosts are a well known fact, and demons etc, get around, stuff happens. Felix investigates stuff, kills ghosts, finds bad guys, etc. etc. Quite similar to the Dresden files, which is why I read them. Author also did a lot of work on the Hellblazer graphic novels, which is what the movie Constantine was based on.

Just one I remembered recently,

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - The Death Gate cycle
      Interesting take on magic and junk. I've read the 7 novels in the series three or four times. Highly recommended.

I also have read quite a lot of mediocre pap.
      Robin Hobb -> everything? I mostly read the Assassin's books, with Fitz the whiny assassin. Can't honestly say I enjoyed it, it was kind of slow, and the protagonist was possibly a bit of a retard, and definitely a dick. Similar to the chronicles of Thomas Covenant, protagonist is a leper, gets transported to another world where he's not a leper, immediately rapes some bird, and then feels bad about it for UNTIL THE END OF TIME. Or the end of the book, one of those, it was difficult to tell the difference. I've met people who liked that book, people are fucked.

Dan Simmons - Hyperion. Apparently this is science fiction, and it's funny? it bounces between main characters, they're all completely impossible to relate to, there may have been some concentration on science fiction there somewhere. I never actually got the feeling that there was something to overcome. Everyone involved are complete arsehats, I stopped reading after the second book of four, because there was some kind of maybe a conclusion, even though there was no answers provided to all the stupid. It was like watching anime.

Also in terms of book news, theres a new Dresden Files out, which I didn't notice, and just to be weird, theres a new sword of truth. In case you weren't paying attention, Terry Goodkind finished the sword of truth series, he dropped the last novel into the bowl, flushed it out to stores and says "All done here", wanders off to write some DIFFERENT SHIT. Which turns out to be still slightly attached to the Sword of Truth novels. Turns out noone liked that book, so he immediately runs back to writing sword of truth books. "The Omen Machine" - Terry Goodkind, out now.

I haven't read it yet, I suspect it's shit.

Comment

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy. (The Blade Itself, Before they are Hanged, Last Argument of kings)

Awesome story, good characters. Medieval fantasy setting. Top quality dialogue and some good comedy.

Also lots of swearing and chopping up of people.

Read it.

Comment

enjoying GRRM's Dance with Dragons - however he could've halved the size of the book by cutting out a lot of the fucking descriptive shit...

Comment

now im kinda exicted about this book : Scarecrow & The Army Of Thieves by Matthew Reilly.

Scarecrow & The Army Of Thieves by Matthew Reilly | Dymocks

At an abandoned Soviet base in the Arctic, the battle to save the world has begun...

Comment

oh dear christ.. i'm sure we've had the Matthew Reilly discussion in this thread previously

this is for books worth reading, not books that validate Nazi Germany's book burning process ;P

Comment

Originally posted by The Happy Devil View Post
                now im kinda exicted about this book : Scarecrow & The Army Of Thieves by Matthew Reilly.

Scarecrow & The Army Of Thieves by Matthew Reilly | Dymocks

At an abandoned Soviet base in the Arctic, the battle to save the world has begun...
                sooo basically ice station mixed with area7? sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                  "The Omen Machine" - Terry Goodkind, out now.

I haven't read it yet, I suspect it's shit.

Yep. Also, it's the first book in a trilogy I suspect, although more accurately it's the first part of a book, and he's going to poop out some more parts later on at full book price.

Comment

Haha he is my favourite author. Closely followed by terry pratchett

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Meet the guy his target market is teenage boys it is the bloke equivalent of twilight.

Comment

Hospital Babylon, it's basically a 24 hour account of an A&E ward in London somewhere, taken from interviews and stories from doctors and nurses, well worth the read, some hilarious things in it especially the games the med students play while raiding the drug cabinet.
                        Last edited by Harbinger; 09-10-11, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Sandman Slim - Richard Kadrey

Click image for larger version

Name:	sandman-slim-richard-kadrey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	597154

Just finished this one, very short book but I liked it a lot, plenty of action and murdering. It's an urban fantasy about a magician assassin who has returned from hell to wreak vengeance. It's good. Plenty of violence and humour.

Recommended.

Also it's a series of books now, I haven't read the other two yet.
                          Last edited by Harbinger; 09-10-11, 01:29 PM.

Comment

The Mistborne Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson

This is the author who is finishing the wheel of time. Solid characters, good story.

Comment

i think ill add one or two

Creator Frank Herbert and continued work by Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert
                              The story is EPIC and if these where made into a movie it would complete me but still afew more books to be released! The newest book is Sisterhood of DUNE!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1361_HouseAtreides_D.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	597397Click image for larger version

Name:	God_Emperor_of_Dune_Cover_Art.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	597403Click image for larger version

Name:	Heretics_of_Dune_Cover_Art.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	597404Click image for larger version

Name:	hunters-of-dune.jpg
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	597405Click image for larger version

Name:	RANDOMHOUSEAUDIODuneHouseHarkonnen500.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	597406Click image for larger version

Name:	sandworms_of_dune.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	597407Click image for larger version

Name:	Sisterhood-Of-HB-Fr1.jpeg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	597395Click image for larger version

Name:	AUDIORENAUSSANCEDuneTheButlerianJihad500.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	597398Click image for larger version

Name:	chapterhouse_dune__frontcover_large_DErfGH7eT6BfAQg.jpg
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	597399Click image for larger version

Name:	Children of Dune.jpg
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	597400Click image for larger version

Name:	dune2.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	597396Click image for larger version

Name:	dunecorrino.jpg
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	597401Click image for larger version

Name:	dune-messiah-01.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	597402
                              Last edited by Xolares; 29-02-12, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xolares View Post
                                This is an awesome thread Harbinger

My books are
                                Star Trek Books All but i still need more
                                Frank herbert's Dune Books

i just need suggestions on good books im more Sci fi and stuff like the Doom, Star Trek dune type

You already said dune. Also, Dune (1984) - IMDb

Comment

Working...
                                X