This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just watched skyline, utter shit.
    independence day knock off with the aliens from mass effect and a stupid ending.

Comment

The Expendables.

Why did people like this?

Comment

because it it awesomeness

Comment

Correct.

Comment

I recall no such moments of awesomeness. Except the Arnie/Bruce scene.

Comment

Awesomeness (as in so crap it was awesome) stopped in early 90s. In 2010, there's no excuses.

It was a dumb, dumb movie. Not even a good action movie. See, John Rambo was "awesome".

Comment

i'm going to call you two margaret and david from here on

Comment

As long as I'm Margaret. David is a poonce.

Comment

haha

Comment

Black Swan.

Essentially it was a bunch of cliches and obvious symbolism thrown in, with a poor melodramatic script and less than thrilling thriller elements.

Unfortunately, a bunch of pretentious critics at the Venice Film Festival gave it a standing ovation. Not because it's actually good, rather it turned out to be a film as pretentious as they are - it really struck a cord. It helped them assert themselves as more refined, more intelligent, more complex and far deeper. But in truth, under the highly sheened surface, the fi;m was none of those things.

Critics around the world then fell in line with mighty reviews, in fear of looking less refined or less intelligent than the wealthy, important, hallow audience at the Venice Film Festival that they so sorely aspire to be.

Thankfully, the tide of amazing reviews is beginning to swing, with the aggregated review average falling from well above 90% to 88% at Rotten Tomatoes. So there are people with balls out there with balls.

Here are some choice snippets that help sum up my hatred for the film:

The film seems concerned with giving the appearance of drama rather than actually sweeping us up in it.
                      Aronofsky must have hypnotic powers over jurors and voters.
                      Works best as a bit of tongue-in-cheek high camp.
                      It's high-art trash
                      Being different isn't the same thing as being good.

Comment

annnnnd finally rec understands reviews mean shit

Comment

Aggregated review averages almost always deliver a reasonable indication of whether a movie is worth seeing or not.

This was an exception, in my opinion.

Comment

Easy A.

Comment

I liked it.

Comment

Fag.

Comment

Working...
                                X