No announcement yet.

Limewire Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I used Limewire for music singles, I'm not a "download whole albums at a time" person, I just download songs as I want to listen to them or remember them and build my music slowly that way. Limewire was great for that.

Comment

Same, though I stopped using it years ago coz it kept returning 100s of results that had nothing to do with what I was looking for. I use eMule now (well rarely use it these days).
      That might be good for your dad Rec, same thing as limewire but less cluttered UI.

Comment

Limewire is gay... That being said, now I'll have to wait for people to click on stupid links in Facebook to get more work

Comment

The legal battles plaguing the LimeWire P2P service finally took their toll Tuesday when Lime Wire announced that it has blocked the LimeWire service from the Gnutella peer-to-peer network.

Lime Wire was orderd by the court to disable the searching, downloading, uploading, file trading and/or file distribution functionality, and/or all functionality of LimeWire's P2P file-sharing software. Visitors to the site are now met with a legal notice that notifies them of the shutdown.

The move has left many users in search of an alternative to LimeWire. What other P2P sites are available? While there are countless options available, we polled the PCMag staff and put together a list of several alternatives for BitTorrent, Gnutella, and beyond. All of these services should be used for legal downloads, of course; PCMag does not condone the download of copyrighted or illegal material. With that in mind, here are few sites that might help with the LimeWire withdrawal.

FrostWire
          Ever since Lime Wire made its Tuesday announcement, the name FrostWire has been floating around the Web as a viable alternative. FrostWire, which touts itself as "open source and completely free," is a P2P file-sharing program for BitTorrent and Gnutella. It dates back to 2004, and version 4.21.1 is available now for download on frostwire.com. The interface looks a lot like LimeWire; a YouTube user posted an instructional video detailing how to get set up. On Tuesday, the company also released an Android app for $4.99, though based on a PCMag hands on with the app , it leaves a little something to be desired.

Vuze
          Vuze, formerly known as Azureus, bills itself as the "most powerful BitTorrent app on earth." Earlier this month, it rolled out support for the new Apple TV, BlackBerry devices, and a wider range of Android devices in addition to existing support for various game consoles, TiVo, and Samsung TVs. A paid option, Vuze Plus, offers unlimited DVD burns and built-in antivirus for $24.99 per year. Version 4.5 is available for download now. PCMag reviewed version 4.2 about a year ago, and found it to be good choice for novices that may not want to learn file-sharing-related terminology before getting started.

uTorrent
          uTorrent is a small BitTorrent client that bills itself as "a powerhouse with a tiny appetite"; the latest Windows version is just 320KB. PCMag reviewed version 1.8.4 in October 2009 and found it to be a basic, effective client. Since then, uTorrent has added an alpha Linux download and a stable version for Mac. Last month, uTorrent also unveiled a the Featured Artist program, which offers musicians and filmmakers the ability to submit their work for consideration in special promotions.

Shareaza
          Shareaza is a P2P client for Windows available for download at shareaza.sourceforge.net. You can upload/download from EDonkey2000, Gnutella, BitTorrent, and Gnutella2, Shareaza said. As PCMag outlined two years ago , it's not the same as Shareaza.com, a copycat site that tries to trick you into downloading software you don't want. The real Shareaza released version 2.5.3.0 in June 2010, while Shareaza.com is currently promoting version 7. PCMag hasn't reviewed Shareaza since 2004, but at the time it earned a 4 out of 5 rating.

Ares
          Ares is another sourceforge.net file-sharing site. An updated version - Ares 2.1.7 - was just released on Wednesday, which supports the BitTorrent protocol and Shoutcast radio stations via the built-in audio/video player, Ares said.

RapidShare
          RapidShare is not a P2P site, but it lets you upload files and then send a download link to people with whom you want to share the file. Users of the free service can upload files up to 500MB, though there is a 15-minute wait time between downloads. A RapidPro service, which runs about $8 per month, will give you 50GB of storage, 2GB uploads, and no wait times. The only drawback to RapidShare is that you can't search directly for files stored on the service, though numerous RapidShare search sites are in existence.

Comment

Seriously, Soulseek. That IS problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Stroker View Post
              Seriously, Soulseek. That IS problem solved.
              whats soo good about it?

Comment

It's a no bullshit P2P that's pretty much only by people who want to get their hands on music. No spyware/malware etc. etc. There's a wide variety of music, no dodgy misnamed files and lots of obscure stuff. You can download track by track or box to grab a whole album. Just give it a try.

Comment

you can also use torrent..but if you're going to download songs, it downloads the album not the single. Maybe that's all help I can give.

Comment

In my experience, eMule has less crap files but not enough variety. Anything that's not in the top 40 charts can be hard to find. FrostWire looks and functions exactly the same as LimeWire did, only with a blue theme instead of green. It even uses the same gnutella network.

My 2 cents: FrostWire/LimeWire are ok, IF you know how to use them. I.e. only download audio file types, and don't download anything without a bitrate or with suspicious file size, e.g. 500kb for a whole song :S

It's like PCs. Bloody Mac users forever arguing that PCs are shit coz there's so much malware aimed at PC users... well it's not so bad if you know how to avoid it
                    Last edited by Brookie23; 12-11-10, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Hotfile and Usenet. That is all.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X