Call of Duty: Black Ops tweaks and fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of Duty: Black Ops tweaks and fixes

Post any tweaks or fixes you have here - I'll continually update the thread as I discover more.

My game seems to stutter/lag/hitch when I begin to fire or a grenade explodes near me (as an example):
    Disable your onboard sound via bios if you are using a dedicated sound card. Also disable all additional sound devices by going to "Control Panel > Sound > Manage Audio Devices" and disabling ALL playback and recording devices, except for your primary in-use output such as "Speakers", and primary in-use "Microphone".

Game won't launch. Steam repeats "Performing first time setup..." procedure.
    Manually download and install the latest DirectX End-User Runtime.

Why am I "unnamed soldier"? How do I get a normal name?
    This means your Steam name is 3 characters or less, which is currently unsupported by Black Ops (bug?). Simply increase the length of your Steam name.

I have my clan tag set on Steam, but the brackets are removed in game.
    Remove your clan tag from your Steam name. Then in config_mp.cfg (Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players) alter seta clanName "clantag" to match your clan tag - it will put it in square brackets.

How can I improve my hit registration and general network performance?
    cl_maxpackets 100
    snaps 30

How can I remove the cap/limit on my maximum FPS?
    com_maxfps 120

When trying to install off disc it gets hung up on "steam setup" then says "failed to run install script"
    If you are on Windows XP; Start > Run > "C:\Program Files\steam\steam.exe -install E"
    On Windows 7; Windows key + R "C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steam.exe -install E"
    If "E" is not your CD-ROM drive, change it!

If your PC supports multi-threading:
    seta r_multithreaded_device "1"
    in config_mp.cfg (Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players)

How do I improve the game's sound quality?
    You can change sound to CD mode: 16 bits 44000 hz CD via control panel sound setting.

Misc. "potential" performance tweaks:
    Run Steam in Offline mode > Start Black Ops > End the steam.exe process > Set BO process priority to high
    /r_multiGpu - should be set to "0" if you do not have a multi-gpu graphics card.
    /r_blur_allowed - people are reporting minor frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /r_distortion - people are reporting minor frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /r_dof_enable - people are reporting minor frame boosts with depth of field set to "0"
    /r_glow_allowed - people are reporting huge frame boosts with this set to "0"
    /cg_brass - people are reporting minor frame boosts set to "0"
    /r_cachemodellighting "1" - people are reporting minor frame boosts set to "1"
    /r_cacheSmodellighting "1" - people are reporting minor frame boosts set to "1"
    Last edited by rec; 30-11-10, 08:05 PM.

I'll list some basic cod tweaks, not sure they will work on black ops but thats unlikely because of the engine used

Not sure if the console cammands are "\" OR "/" , its been a while since playing cod

\cg_fov 85 // dont try go past 85 because punkbuster has been known to kick people with high fov

\cl_maxpackets 100

\snaps 30

\com_maxfps 100 OR 125

Above settings are mostly for competitve gameplay eg Hit Rego etc
    Last edited by Joshuayu101; 09-11-10, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Josh;

Originally posted by SparkyMcSparks
      cl_rate doesn't exist on the client, if you start typing it in console it doesn't show up.
      And the max you can set for snaps is 30, if you try to set 40 it doesn't do anything since it isn't a valid integer.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
        Josh;
        fixed

try typing

rate 30000

Comment

Updated with additional fixes.

Comment

This is from TheOlderGamers website,

Single player and general performance:

Run Steam in Offline mode.
            Start Black Ops.
            End the steam.exe process.
            Set BO process priority to high

Be aware that apparently the game does not support crossfire or SLI, yet. I think this is a driver thing, so until new drivers are out, you might want to disable it in config:

seta r_multiGpu "0"
            seta r_multithreaded_device "1" - if your GPU supports multi-threading, set this to 1

Game won't launch. Steam repeats "Performing first time setup..." procedure.
            Manually download and install the latest DirectX End-User Runtime.

I have my clan tag set on Steam, but the brackets are removed in game.
            Remove your clan tag from your Steam name. Then in config_mp.cfg (Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players) alter seta clanName "clantag" to match your clan tag - it will put it in square brackets.

When trying to install off disc it gets hung up on "steam setup" then says "failed to run install script"
            If you are on Windows XP; Start > Run > "C:\Program Files\steam\steam.exe -install E"
            On Windows 7; Windows key + R "C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steam.exe -install E"
            If "E" is not your CD-ROM drive, change it!

Try setting the game to your desktop (or native) resolution and refresh rate, and try disabling vertical sync option via in-game graphics menu.

Lag Fixes:

Open Console (`)
            Type cl_maxpackets 100
            Close Game.

Right click on Black Ops Multi in steam games
            Go Properties -> Updates -> Untick Enable steam cloud sync.
            If the above doesn't work try the following..

Steam > Settings > In Game > uncheck ?Enable Steam Community In-Game?

Turn sound to CD mode: 16 bits 44000 hz CD
            You can do this via control panel sound setting.

How can I improve my hit registration and general network performance?
            cl_maxpackets 100
            snaps 30

How can I remove the cap/limit on my maximum FPS?
            com_maxfps 120

------------------------------DISCLAIMER
            These are all fixes I've collected from Steam and other forums, some might work, some might not. I would suggest keeping track of stuff you do change so you can revert later on. I'm assuming once nVidia and ATI update drivers for BO compatibility, some of the performance issues should be resolved.
            I know some have been posted, but thought post whole quote and rest can be filtered out

Comment

Updated BO tweak list.

Comment

Interesting with the crossfire/sli thing. Been running the singleplayer with sli enabled (2 x gtx460s) just fine.

Comment

2xgtx460s... they're probably re-writing the game to fix all the bugs on the fly

Comment

I finally got the game and played a few rounds. I seriously haven't had any lag issues or micro stuttering. Only issue is people from brazil and high pingers.

Some of the tweaks i have done are really working a treat for the people in mumble.

the multi gpu cvar should be 0 if you have a single card setup. I have it on 1 with crossfire with no issues.

r_specular 0 //Really good one
                    cl_maxping 200 // It may reduce the number of high ping servers in the browser

I have noticed Defragging the computer also helps to reduce lag issue

If you change the server filter " show full servers" NO
                    That server filter should make the server browser faster
                    More to come...
                    Last edited by Joshuayu101; 10-11-10, 08:13 PM.

Comment

anyone found a fix for the game not using your name? im stuck as 'unknown soldier' been changing it in steam, i was unable to find console name change command but haven't looked real hard was busy playing lol

If u look at me in the friends list my name is listed as DNR and my tag thing says DNR, but in game it wont display.

Comment

No idea on that one - would love it to say rec again.

Comment

Your name doesn't happen to be less than 4 characters does it? If so, that might be your problem. "rec" sounds like it may be an issue

Comment

i think the asusmption there, Ratty, is that you're so bad a player you're bound to wind up in a mass grave

Comment

Ahh really... so is 3 characters disallowed, or just not showing due to a bug?

Comment

Working...
                              X