Call of Duty : Black OPS - Easter Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of Duty : Black OPS - Easter Eggs

From > Call of Duty: Black Ops Easter Eggs: Zombie Minigame, Zork | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops is already one of the best-selling games ever, so it makes perfect sense that among its Easter eggs can be found one of the best sellers of yesteryear.

The complete version of Zork I: The Underground Empire, the 1980 Infocom record-maker that is now owned by Activision, is contained within "Call of Duty"?and can be accessed before you can do almost anything else.

On the start-up screen, you face a series of monitors that display both atmosphere-setting video clips and the traditional menus of game options. But you also have control over the camera, and thus the ability to pan around the room?and even the rest of your body. Angling your view downward shows that your forearms are cuffed to a chair. By rapidly alternating the left and right controls, you can "break free" of your bonds and explore the room in which you're confined.

In that room, you'll find an ancient-looking terminal with a keyboard and black-and-white monitor attached. Use it to bring up an old-school UNIX command-line prompt for accessing the Central Intelligence Agency Data system. Use the on-screen keyboard to type DOA: This will start the Dead Ops Arcade, which lets you play an arcade-style shooting minigame in which you take on (and hopefully blow away) an undead onslaught, as well as grant you the "Insert Coin" achievement.

But if you type ZORK at that same command prompt, you'll load up Zork I from the very beginning: the famous "West of House" location, and have the opportunity to experience the classic treasure-hunt game again, or perhaps for the first time. (Starting up Zork also unlocks the "Eaten by a Grue" achievement.) Because Zork I is a text-adventure game, you'll probably find it easiest to play if you can use a real keyboard rather than just the on-screen one, but it's worth at least trying to see where computer gaming really got started (and how far we've come in just 30 years).

While you're playing around on the terminal, typing 3ARC UNLOCK will unlock Zork mode, the Dead Ops Arcade, the Zombies map "Five," and all single-player missions; 3ARC INTEL will let you view all the intelligence in the game, but disable trophies and achievements; and ALICIA will begin a session with a virtual therapist. Other UNIX-style commands also work on the terminal.

Ahh, so that's what they spent time doing instead of actually testing and fixing the game.

Comment

yep except zork lags too

Comment

DOA doesn't, it runs as smooth as silk..Left Shift and space for PC keyboard users

Comment

Thats cool
          Though by DOA I thought they meant the PC multiplayer

Comment

i have video lag and ping is ok now 50-90ms but the video is realy pissng me off XD

Comment

Originally posted by Xolares View Post
              i have video lag and ping is ok now 50-90ms but the video is realy pissng me off XD
              invest in an anti-virus?

Comment

Working...
              X