Making Money on Steam's Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Money on Steam's Market

So last night I figured i'd see where the Steam Market beta was up to. Last time I checked it you could only sell crates, keys, and tickets, but now they've got the whole gamut of TF2 and DOTA2 item support in there.

I had a wander through what was going for sale and discovered Vintage Bill's Hat (not to be confused with plain old Bill's Hat), is selling for $100 a shot! Thinking this had to be a mistake on the market's behalf, I had 2 of these hats so figured I'd give it a go. I went and listed one on the market and sure enough, several hours later - sold! for $99! I put the second hat up, and overnight, it also sold for $99!

Currently it's the only real big ticket seller, most of the other items up there are a couple of cents, although for some reason, people have bought my crates for $2 a shot - which just seems stupid because the game practically throws these at you for stubbing your toe in-game.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be a way to draw wallet funds down into your own bank account, and it's got a limit of $200 on it (so it wont allow you to have auction sales and cash in wallet totalling more than $200), but whatever - vcash for doing nothing is fun.

Now it is still in beta, but when the market goes live these prices may skyrocket, or they may plummet as a glut of players unleash their vintage hats on the hordes.

After seeing your post of facebook last night I had a bit of a look around. Ended up selling a rifle overnight for $2.50! Not quite in the $99 league but I was pretty chuffed...

Comment

haha nice

Comment

so steam takes a % of the sale.. that's them making money...

Comment

yeah, but they take that % from the buyer, not the seller

Comment

Making Money on Steam's Market

I have a bunch of tf2 and dota items. Just can't sell any really. Just chests...

Comment

Working...
            X