How to save money on Steam using a VPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save money on Steam using a VPN

I wanted to ensure I played the uncensored version of L4D2. And the best way I could think of was buying it via Steam from a UK IP as their version is uncensored. So, I signed up to a trial at AnonymitynNetwork.com for this purpose alone.

I connected to their "England" server, started up Steam, threw L4D2 into my store basket for purchase. While there, I'd also check the price of Modern Warfare 2. It's available for just 34.99 pounds ($62 AUD) - that's $36 cheaper than Australian Steam.

So I went ahead and bought them both by putting in all of my Australian card details, changing the country to United Kingdom, and adding two 0's to the end of my postcode (matching the length of UK post codes). I quit Steam, disconnected from the VPN, reconnected to Steam 'from Australia' and am pre-loading L4D2.

I thought I'd detail my experience here, because as far as I'm concerned, everyone else should do the same - stick it up both the Australian OFLC and Australian price gouging publishers.

Update: I've tried this with the USA Steam store and it also works. Instead of adding two 0's, just add one (5 digits total).

RU Steam Store: Welcome to Steam

UK Steam Store: Welcome to Steam

US Steam store: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us
    Last edited by rec; 09-11-11, 01:39 PM.

Nice info my man.... but am I not correct in saying that we cannot play the UK L4D2 version on Aus servers ?

This also means only the payment is done via the UK VPN and the download can still be quota free for Node (and some others) ppl?

Comment

I would say do it to save money, but i wouldn't be surprised if the executable would simply validate your region off your IP address and turn off or on the content that is consider inappropriate for that region.

Though so much for the free market.

Comment

Originally posted by ResLo View Post
        Nice info my man.... but am I not correct in saying that we cannot play the UK L4D2 version on Aus servers ?

This also means only the payment is done via the UK VPN and the download can still be quota free for Node (and some others) ppl?
        There's a good chance the L4D2 differences won't actually effect multiplayer compatibility between versions. It might just a series of animations that are different. OFCL's complaint was regarding grievous bodily harm to human-like characters, specifically decapitations with melee weapons. There's no reason Australians won't just see a different animation instead.

An example of that is GTAIV; we can still play against everyone else in the world even though our version differs. How similar or different that case is I'm not sure, of course.

As for quota - I don't see why not. Make the transaction while connected to the UK VPN, then disconnect and download through Steam for free. Just make sure you have Steam Watch running to make sure.

Originally posted by chad View Post
        I would say do it to save money, but i wouldn't be surprised if the executable would simply validate your region off your IP address and turn off or on the content that is consider inappropriate for that region.
        Nope, games with different versions are technically different games altogether - they're assigned completely different and unique cart id's in the Steam store. When you purchase one region's version, you're stuck with it.

Comment

unless valve cracks down on it - simple database query would spot people running different countries' versions *very* easily. pretty sure that's against the steam EULA too so you could lose access to ALL your games.

Comment

So you're telling me all the games I bought while in the UK must be revoked because I'm now back in Aus? Likewise, all the games I bought in Aus I shouldn't haven't been able to access while living in the UK?

Big "baarmp" on that one. Never going to happen.

Also, I think Jay is probably right. According to this Wiki, most Australian "banned" and/or edited games have been uncut for their PC releases (censored for retail console games only). So there's a good chance the Aus version of L4D2 via Steam will still be fully featured.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
              So you're telling me all the games I bought while in the UK must be revoked because I'm now back in Aus? Likewise, all the games I bought in Aus I shouldn't have been able to access while living in the UK?

Big "baarmp" on that one. Never going to happen.
              Similar thing.
              Amazon remotely deletes Orwell e-books from Kindles, unpersons reportedly unhappy (update)

Comment

Well I can safely say none of my Aus games were deleted while I was in the UK, and none of my UK purchased games have been deleted since being back in Aus.

Also remember that if someone in the UK, Europe or USA "gifts" you a game via Steam, you get their region's version - not the Australian version. This "loop hole" would have been fixed up a long time ago if it was a major concern. They're aware of it, and have done nothing to fix it.

By stipulating rules for region of purchase and making you check-boxes and read T&C's they've covered their arses, and that's all that matters to them I imagine.

PS. I've found a way to grab the UK versions without a VPN: http://www.gamers-underground.com/fo...thout-vpn.html

Comment

yeah unfortunately rec, it STILL counts as importing the game. have a read of your EULA - i'm not saying they WILL, just that they CAN. (also as you mentioned, because you might go to a diff country for awhile, i think they're less likely to ban the account as to just reset the version of the game you have)

edit: scratch that - could find no mention of it in valve's subscriber agreement. they could be forced by the aussie govt to reset your L4D2 game, but yeah, there's nothing implicit in the agreement about faking your country of origin.
                  Last edited by Aegis; 25-10-09, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Sweet. And as I said; their own system enables me to 'gift' an AU game to a USA, UK, EU customer and vice-versa. They enable it themselves.

Comment

So if I get my brother to sign into my steam account in the UK, and then he purchases the 4 pack for l4d2. Could I then just sign back into mine here once he's done and we'd be all sweet?

I don't want no gimped version

Comment

If you have family in the UK, he can just "gift" you the game and you can avoid all of these work-arounds.

Comment

That's what I'd do except with the 4 pack 1 copy has to stay with the account you purchase it on and then you gift the other 3. My brother doesn't play any games anymore so I'd like to put the one copy on a steam account that me and my mates can actually use. I stand by my above question. Anyone got any thoughts as to if this would work?

Comment

Just go to the UK store URL in your Firefox/Explorer browser, buy the 4 pack and you're done.

It's really that easy. Just remember to put your country in as United Kingdom during the purchase process.

Alternatively, sign-up to the aforementioned VPN trial, and then launch the Steam store and do it that way. Either way will work fine.

Comment

Does it matter that my address is in melbourne victoria but then the country is the UK? Should I use my bro's actual address in the UK? I appreciate the help guys!

I just want to make sure I do this correctly, don't want to waste $144.

Comment

Working...
                              X