Terraria 1.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terraria 1.1 Released

Terraria, a 2D minecraft-esque game, with a more focused approach on the adventure rather then the building, has recently upgraded to version 1.1

The patch change log out lines the content update of the patch, which is actually quite massive and practically doubles the length of terraria.

for $10, this game is quite obviously worth it. a great package and feels like a whole different game from minecraft.

here's the patch notes from the official site:

There are thirty-six new monsters!
    The underworld has a new master, the Wall of Flesh. Defeating him will unlock new challenges for your world.
    There are three harder versions of the older bosses.

The Dryad will now tell you the percentage of Corruption vs. Hallow in the world.
    • New NPCs will spawn in their homes underground, instead of on the surface.
    • Worms will no longer spawn when near a friendly NPC.
    • Underground towns will now reduce, and eventually stop, enemy spawning.

Items

Added thirty-nine statues that are scattered around the world. Some of them do special things when activated with mechanics!
    Star Cannon : Shoots faster.
    Sandgun : Sand shot from it does more damage, and it shoots faster.
    Blowpipe : Now listed as ranged.
    Goblins no longer drop rocket boots during an invasion. Instead they are sold by a new NPC that can be rescued underground after the player has defeated the Goblin Army.
    Boomerang type weapons are listed as melee.
    Added four new armor sets. Each set has different helms that give bonuses to melee, ranged, or magic, respectively.
    There are twenty-one new accessories.
    Weapons and accessories can now have random conditions that modify their stats. These conditions can be changed for a price by visiting a new NPC.
    The crafting requirements for Molten and Jungle gear have been reduced.

Colored Torches can now be crafted out of Gems and Torches.
    Added Mannequins that are crafted out of wood. Place armor on them for decoration/storage.
    Added the Wrench to place wires.
    Added Wire Cutters to remove wires.
    Added Pressure Plates, Switches, and Timers to activate devices.
    Added Music Boxes that record and play in-game music.
    Added Pumps to transport liquids.
    Added loads of other new items and weapons waiting to be found!
    Putting the Guide Voodoo Doll in lava is now a bad idea...or is it?

Lighting / Display

Terraria now has smooth, colored lighting! You can toggle between the four lighting modes: Color, White, Retro, and Trippy in the Options Menu or by pressing F9.
    Made several lighting and display optimizations to increase game performance.
    in the Options Menu.

Multiplayer

Fixed a problem with item syncing for newly connected players.

Reduced the amount of data needed to transmit tiles down to 25%.
    The server now only broadcasts tile data to the players who need it.
    The server now withholds some NPC, player, and projectile packets based on player distance from them.
    Fixed a bug where water is consumed when a player cures Corruption with Purification Powder while standing in water.

World

Above ground tunnels may now be created during world gen.
    Smashing Demon Altars with a special item will cause new ore to appear around the world.

Defeating the hell boss will allow the Corruption to spread underground, over sand, stone, and Sunflowers, and through Jungles, destroying them if you let it!
    There is a new biome, The Hallow, that will be created when the hell boss is defeated.
    Removed obsolete lighting code, reducing both RAM usage and world save file sizes.
    Added several small features to world gen.
    Tweaked the way and amount of Underground Mushroom biome spawn.
    Demon Torches now appear in shelters generated in the underworld.
    Underground cabins may randomly spawn around chests.
    Different styles of wall can now be placed next to one another without showing the background between them, allowing for more creative building.
    When nearing the top of the world, the player will now leave the atmosphere and be less affected by gravity.
    There are now three types of traps that are generated underground. Watch your step!
    Cacti no longer damage players.

Game Interface

Items being held by the mouse will now be used by left clicking. This allows the player to place objects without putting them on the hotbar. Right clicking will now drop the item.
    Placing objects on grass will now destroy the grass.
    The crafting menu now scales to fit the size of the screen.
    When the inventory is open, the number of the selected item in the hotbar will appear in green.

Misc

There is a new music track for The Hallow biome.
    Underground Corruption has its own music track.
    Underground Hallow has its own music track.
    There are two new boss music tracks.
    Greatly reduced world save file sizes.
    Decreased tile frame detection time by 15%.
    Your trash can is now emptied when you die.

All players will now leave behind tombstones when killed.
    There is now a random option in the player creation menu.
    Female players now have separate armor graphics.
    Added a new mechanical system! Holding a mechanical item will display the wire grid to create interesting new devices.
    There are new overworld backgrounds for each biome!

Bug Fixes

Fixed a bug that would cause the server to think a player is dead if he/she reaches 1 HP without dying.

Fixed a bug that would crash the game when player tried to draw water outside the bounds of the world.
    Fixed a bug that would cause mana regen to ignore stat bonuses given by armor or accessories
    Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the game to crash when growing Underground Jungle grass.
    Wooden Platforms no longer attach to non-solid objects.
    Placing and removing items during the placing animation will no longer destroy the item when it is collected.
    Fixed a bug that would cause graphical abnormalities when the lighting changes dramatically.
    The FPS display (F10) shows the correct number.
    Fixed a bug that swapped the lighting of players pants and head armor.
    Fixed a problem that would cause water to settle in strange positions.
    Fixed a problem that caused objects with transparency to appear darker than they should.

alas, does gamers-underground have a server for this game?

Comment

Someone used to run one, wasn't working yesterday when I tried it.

As for $10 pfft, bought 4 copies for $7.50 yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
        Someone used to run one, wasn't working yesterday when I tried it.

As for $10 pfft, bought 4 copies for $7.50 yesterday.
        $10 is the normal price, but i was under the impression they were selling it for $2.50 the other day, so how did you get 4 o.O or was it a package deal?

anyways if you got it during then, even better deal Someone should set up a server none the less.

Comment

We had one running for a while, but Minecraft isn't as fun in 2D.

Comment

comparing apples and oranges? terraria has a far different late game then minecraft. (minecraft dosen't have an end game ) and is more focused on combat rather then building, but i do like the spawners and decorations and stuff in terraria, imo they are both great games.

Comment

apples and oranges - insomuch as both are fruit while MC and Terraria are both sandbox combat + crafting + construction games. yeah i think the comparison is fair

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                apples and oranges - insomuch as both are fruit while MC and Terraria are both sandbox combat + crafting + construction games. yeah i think the comparison is fair
                Minecraft = Less enemies, more building, less need for exploration to find loot treasures and no bosses. more mod support though

Terraria = little to no mod support, a ton of enemies, a bit less building, Bosses, loot hidden in caves which you can find and adventure through and actually find cool items rather then just loot veins. Good implementation of a magic system

Minecraft is more building and gathering focused, while terraria is more combat focused and try's to be an actual game with a decent level of progression. I could say terraria is better biased on this fact, but as a PC Gamer i know how much of an impact mods have on a game. that comparison could only be made if i tried to put them in the same group though, which they are clearly not.

Comment

Not to mention one is 2d the other is 3d....

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                    Not to mention one is 2d the other is 3d....
                    Originally posted by rec View Post
                    We had one running for a while, but Minecraft isn't as fun in 2D.

Comment

Originally posted by nroug7 View Post
                      Minecraft = Less enemies, more building, less need for exploration to find loot treasures and no bosses. more mod support though

Terraria = little to no mod support, a ton of enemies, a bit less building, Bosses, loot hidden in caves which you can find and adventure through and actually find cool items rather then just loot veins. Good implementation of a magic system

Minecraft is more building and gathering focused, while terraria is more combat focused and try's to be an actual game with a decent level of progression. I could say terraria is better biased on this fact, but as a PC Gamer i know how much of an impact mods have on a game. that comparison could only be made if i tried to put them in the same group though, which they are clearly not.
                      you didnt read my post at all did you?

are both sandbox games? CHECK
                      do both have combat? CHECK
                      do both have crafting? CHECK
                      do both have construction? CHECK

that's all you need to be able to compare them! Doesnt matter which is arguably better - they occupy enough of the same categories to be comparable - otherwise, following your above logic, you couldnt even compare Dune 2 with Emperor: Battle for Dune ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                        you didnt read my post at all did you?

are both sandbox games? CHECK
                        do both have combat? CHECK
                        do both have crafting? CHECK
                        do both have construction? CHECK
                        Lol I would rather beleive that the implementation of the features is key here... and btw

Are Apples and Oranges good for you? CHECK.
                        Do Apples and Oranges both have low fat? CHECK.
                        Are Apples and Oranges considered an important part of your diet? CHECK.
                        Are Apples and Oranges both fruit? CHECK.MATE

Comment

haha

Comment

Might as well throw my chips on the table, so long as the currency is opinion.

I feel that the two games are very similar in as far as core mechanics and the basic concept. When minecraft survival (the actual game, not creative mode) first appeared, it was unlike anything on the table for it's time, mixing an emphasis on action based gameplay with a completely malleable world created through robust procedural world generation, item/crafting based advancement and a day/night cycle of build/survive gave it a rather specific flavor that has been seldom felt in 'RPG's (the general term) since the days of the Rougelike.

I would make the suggestion that Minecraft is unique to the point where it justifies it's own genre. Terraria has all of the things mentioned, yet I would compare Minecraft in Terraria as I would games in the same genre.

All of this is to support the idea that while the two games are functionally the same in terms of core mechanics (ignoring the fact that one is 3D from the first person, and the other is a 2D plat former), their game design is very different. Minecraft is slower paced, with an emphasis on world creation and creativity. Yes, end-game content has been added, but there isn't as much variety, much less raw quantity to the content of Minecraft. Instead, an incredible level of attention to detail has been put into what content has been added, making it a rich experience. There is a pathos to breaking into a new cavern, not knowing what might be around the next corner, ears straining at all times as you fumble forward into the dark, waiting for the "pchk - hssssssssssss" to initiate a fight or flight response.

In contrast, rather than shaping the world around you, Terraria seems to be focusing more on shaping the character through empowerment. The raw quantity of items, tools, weapons, clothing, vanity items, allow you to develop a humble sprite huddled in a wooden shack, with naught but a companion guide and a set of blunt copper tools into an awesomely powerful being capable of making war upon the very forces that govern his or her plane of existance at the time and place of his choosing, be it in orbit or all the way down to the very pits of hell. There is an emphasis on narrative ... the npc's will interact with the player, but what the discuss depends on which other npc's are present, giving an impression of npc to npc interaction when they aren't busy dealing with the player. It is telling that Terraria is designed from the ground up to preserve the player's character's independently from the saved worlds. Where Minecraft is introducing it's first boss, Terraria is integrating a 'hallow vs. corruption' meta-story that doesn't really get off the ground until the original endgame content has been mastered. This is less a criticism of Minecraft as it is an example of the difference in emphasis.

I feel that both games are more rewarding in different areas, and furthermore, are so by design. To compare the two makes that which either really excels in respectively stand out, because the core concepts are so similar to each other.

Comment

Sorry C4Cypher, your post got flagged in the moderation queue for some reason. I've just sent the post live.

Comment

Working...
                              X