Star Trek Online - Free2Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Online - Free2Play

We knew this was bound to happen when Cryptic's other [current] MMO, Champions Online went F2P, but Cryptic have just made the initial statement of intent. It was interesting to see all the doomsayers spout their crap about the imminent demise of CO in the wake of its announcement, along with all the comments along the lines of "suck it, lifers" while nearly a year later, CO is still going strong - stronger even - with the massive boost in playerbase brought on by the F2P model and the fact they didn't hate on the lifers, quite the opposite in fact! On top of all the previous content lifers had free access to, they also (along with normal subscribers) gain 400 cryptic points / month to spend in the C-Store, which is pretty neat. This is enough to buy a costume pack per month.

Anyway, I expect a similar setup to CO F2P for STO F2P (EDIT: STO feature matrix is now up: http://startrekonline.com/f2p_features ), and I'd encourage you all to check it out when it goes live - particularly those of you that hated the launch day version of STO - it has changed a *lot*. Some of the things added/changed since launch are:

• new sector space graphics to make it feel more like space (though scale is still way off because it is still meant to be just a representation)
    • revamped social areas - Earth Space Dock, Vulcan, and Qo'nos have had a HUGE makeover.
    • new social areas - Rura Penthe and Starfleet Academy
    • flight AoA - while you still can't fly in vertical loops, they have expanded the allowed angle of attack your ship can move in, so those annoying spiral flights are much fewer and farther between.
    • sector space encounters now only trigger if you fly directly into them, rather than hunting you like a bitch.
    • level cap increase by 5 levels - reaching it provides a Quantum Slipstream ability which allows you to fly at warp 20 for 30s every 2 minutes.
    • diplomatic XP - alongside normal XP levelling, Federation officers can level their diplomacy skills - each level unlocks new diplomatic mission types and some provide you with transwarp (instant travel) abilities to specific stations.
    • complete change to ground combat - there is now am over the shoulder view with aiming reticle option. While this doesn't behave exactly like a normal shooter, it does allow you to split sustained fire between targets. Ground mobs have been changed so that each mob is no-longer a grind to get through, conversely fights with a boss in the mob have been bolstered in difficulty - as you would expect. New melee functions have been added for swords, batleths, and that weirdo vulcan weighted stick thing. Grenades now land where you aim rather than at a selected target, so you can lead your targets now.
    • feature episode series - there are 4 of these now, and each one has added new game mechanics, PVP maps, and really well told stories. The 5th is set to see a revamp of the DS9 station and wormhole.
    • Klingons can use crafting, now have a lot more content, and are being given customised versions of Federation missions to help bolster that content. On top of that, they now have a really fun raid (not like MMO raids) mechanic where they can go and steal crap from Federation installations and shipping.
    • new minigames - there is a Dabbo game now that can be played in most social zones, and the devs have mentioned there are more coming with future feature eps.
    • Duty Office system - while not yet in place, it's only weeks away and will be in before the F2P model goes live - this system will provide a meta game that allows you to gain XP, diplomatic XP, buffs, and other rewards while offline.
    • in-game voice chat.
    • new daily missions, some of which are nice and quick for easy rewards and tokens to put toward some of the high end gear.
    • new ships - just about every ship added to the C-Store so far can be earnt/bought in-game (there are a couple of exceptions to this which they are going to change soon). Klingons can field carriers now, as well as my personal favourite, the siege destroyer which can deploy to unleash a massive beam of death. Fighters and shuttles are also in now, and are required on some missions - there has been talk of a cockpit view being tossed about internally for these craft.
    • Borg incursions will be in within the next month - think rift events in RIFT, except these will let you transwarp directly to them.
    • borg now adapt to your weaponry so you need science gear to remodulate your energy weapons once they adapt.
    • visual improvements to aliens, costume options, and animations - the Gorn look fucking badass now, no more of this papier mache shit.
    • multi-vector assault mode - this is a console that can be slotted on a few Federation ships to allow them to split their hulls into several ships
    • gear sets - currently confined to ship items only, but captain sets are coming. And yeah, they make a difference...

Coming changes that may or may not be in by the time the game is F2P:

• feature series 5 on DS9 - featuring the Cardassians
    • Tholians coming in feature series 6 or 7 (awesome!)
    • single map sector space - no map loads while traveling between sectors - this will be awesome.
    • new fleet actions
    • new PVP maps
    • rebalanced task forces (removing fucking trash mobs from some of the task forces)
    • new task forces
    • actual fleet controls, that will allow a fleet to set up and run their own private fleet actions - finally, the Crystaline Entity may be killable since PUGs have practically no chance!
    • fleet bases - this is actually based on tech Cryptic has deployed successfully in Champions and is working on heavily with the NWN MMO they're also building.
    • new hair tech
    • warp to friend - this option is already in for people who have invited people, but they're going to expand it so everyone can use it.

neither of these lists is exhaustive, I can't remember half the shit that's been added/improved now, nor all of what's coming, but this game is already nothing like it was in those few months following release.

Anyway, I'll repost in this thread when F2P goes active for those curious to see for themselves what has changed

EDIT: dstahl, head dude at Cryptic, has come out and said the F2P version should be live before the end of the year.
    Last edited by Aegis; 07-09-11, 04:14 PM. Reason: added star trek online f2p feature matrix

so how do they do the lifers bonus's if its goin F2P?

Comment

have a look at the Champs thing Free-to-Play Features Matrix | Champions Online Official Site lifers are handled the same way as the Gold/subscriber column, just obviously without any more cash being fronted up. One other bonus I forgot with Champs, was that the adventure packs are all free to subscribers now too.

Comment

sweet ill be back in for sure

Comment

hah, just tried the Borg incursion stuff - very cool. you have to fly to the sector under attack, then once you zone in, you get a RED ALERT button at bottom right. Click it and it will add you to a 5-man team where you have 15 minutes to kill 4 borg squadrons - kill them in time and a capital ship will drop out of warp - and it IS a capital ship! about the only vessel in the game you can target with both your fore and aft weaponry simultaneously.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-04_00001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	596974

Comment

So it's not currently F2P?

I just tried logging in - tells me that i don't have a retail key (when I do).

Edit: - its also declining my mastercard now. Oh well, thats chance #2 for them gone.
            Last edited by Milenko; 05-09-11, 03:11 AM.

Comment

yeah, not F2P yet - weird about the mastercard rebuttal tho. I wouldn't resub just yet though (if you still intended to after the above annoyance), I'd wait another couple weeks for the Duty Officer stuff to go live.

Comment

Originally posted by Milenko View Post
                So it's not currently F2P?

I just tried logging in - tells me that i don't have a retail key (when I do).

Edit: - its also declining my mastercard now. Oh well, thats chance #2 for them gone.
                i had the same problem a few weeks back Sean, had to log into my account and re-add my key, was like wtf

Comment

I used the STEAM trick - add two more 0's and changed the card issuer to the UK (even though it's not valid) - and it worked.

Comment

lol got 5 levels in 45 minutes - from captain 1 through 5 I expect the ridiculous XP on the red alerts will be nerfed soon but damn, that was fun

Comment

I hit Lt. 8 before i passed out

Comment

nice

Comment

The free-to-play matrix is up now on the STO website: F2P Features Matrix | Star Trek Online Official Site

basically it's similar to the Champions one, with subscribers/lifers getting 400 free cryptic points per month (yay) and little else changing for us. There is mention that some of the playable races and ships in the C-Store will become free during the change-over too, and other ship prices may drop.

One interesting thing is, due to how the skill trees work, they can't lock captains into 'castes' like characters were in Champions F2P, so essentially, F2Pers will get practically everything subscribers get with the exception of limited chat/email/voice-chat functionality, less bridge officers, and smaller inventory/bank allowances as well as max in-game currency storage. Aside from that, F2Pers have access to all the basic ships, costumes, races, sectors, missions, taskforces, weapons, and equipment that subscribers have.

If you were a subscriber in the past, and wish to try F2P, you wont lose existing characters. They will have a function that allows you to convert down to F2P (or Silver membership) so you can continue with an existing captain. I don't recommend this though, as I think you may lose bridge officers you've earnt.

The only change i see that really affects subscribers is the across the board hike in level requirement before you can create a klingon character. Previously you just had to hit level 6 (i think? or maybe it was 15..?) now - due to the still limited volume of klingon content - they've hiked that to level 25. Players that have unlocked the klingon side already but have yet to hit level 25 on the Federation side will retain their klingon access though.

Oh, and someone on the STO forums has done the math and worked out that you can make one F2P character have everything (bar veteran rewards and social limitations) that a subscribed player has by spending as much as 3 months subscription in the C-Store: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=230709
                          Last edited by Aegis; 07-09-11, 11:22 AM.

Comment

might definitely be worth coming back to take a geez at the improvements

Comment

hanging out for the duty roster thing - i really want to max out my diplomacy on my secondary characters but it's such a pain chasing down diplomatic missions, this will provide another way to get there without doing much

Comment

Working...
                              X