RANT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RANT

Im sorry but im going to rant now, if i didn't hate Facebook so much id get on there and make a group called "Fat bitches that are ruining the world with there whinging bullshit"

Race row erupts over 'Hobbit' casting

how the hell does this sort of shit happen, i mean the add was politically correct and specified that they "should have light skin tones", and yet this woman turned up, knowing full well that she was of darker skin.. now im not racist and im all for equal rights for male/female/black/brow/yellow/white... non of that matters, if your not what they are looking for to fill a specific task how is that racist?

really if a casting agent is looking for something specific why the fuck should he be penalized cos some fat cow wants her 15 minutes of fame.

what the hell has happened to the world in the last 5 years alone, hell im only 27 and i can remember a time when this woman would have been told have a teaspoon of concrete.

i know i will more than likely cop a few omg racist/sexist remarks from people but FFS the world needs to harden the fuck up.

It is their fucken movie. They can discriminate who they hire as extras as much as they like PERIOD!

It is a job where your begin specifically paid for on how you look not on what skills you have or have not. It is not an office job.

Comment

I think the problem lies in the media and how they tell the story. The write in a way as to garner a reaction such as displayed above. It's textbook sensationalist journalism.

The media drives the change in our perceptions. It is not based on reality.

Having said that, things are getting a little weird...

Comment

i understand media sensationalism and yeh the fact that they made her out to be a victim and a hero for standing up to intolerance, but im more pissed at the fact that the casting dude got the sack for doing his job and the woman expecting to get a job she is obviously not suited for.

Comment

Because he's a moron and asked for a specific skin colour.

It's the same when you advertise a job. You don't say no "x" people. You just don't fucking hire them.

Comment

give the people a black orphan annie!

Comment

Originally posted by grandinferno View Post
              Because he's a moron and asked for a specific skin colour.

It's the same when you advertise a job. You don't say no "x" people. You just don't fucking hire them.
              Unless you're advertising for Indigenous only positions. Then it's ok.

Comment

Especially in the University type mainstream where they quite often will advertise
                "position only available to current employees of X university or Aboriginal and Torres Strait islanders"
                If thats not discrimination then what is?
                I understand that there is a push to get members of the "seen to be less fortunate" socio aspect employed and ready to join mainstream society, but fair suck of the sav, thats just plain colourism to me (we are all one race, human)

Comment

If you're talking about it then the people working in media have done their jobs and you've just given them free publicity, congratulations idiot.

Comment

If memory serves there are a few exemptions for the discrimination act, aboriginal/torres strait islanders being one of them, men/women in a health role is another (so you don't get guys being female body inspectors... ohhhh yeah......) and the other one is for the food and beverage industry, for example, if you are running an Irish pub, you can discriminate on employee hiring because they aren't Irish...

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
                      If you're talking about it then the people working in media have done their jobs and you've just given them free publicity, congratulations idiot.
                      Dude. Seriously. Fuck. How do you come up with this shit? This discussion has turned to focusing on why the media is so ridiculous. We're not all sitting here going. "Yes. Yes. I can't believe those people did that to that poor lady. How racist!!" Then you'd be right. But we're not. So shhhhh.

Originally posted by Milenko View Post
                      Unless you're advertising for Indigenous only positions. Then it's ok.
                      That is disgusting and does no favours for the aboriginal people. Not only does it create even more problems by babying aboriginal people, but it also creates animosity from the majority. Unfounded animosity mind you.

Comment

lol I had the same reaction as Ratty when I read it. Another stupid example would be a friend of my sister had her add removed from a nanny hiring agency for stating she would prefer a malaysian nanny. If I go to the shop looking for white sugar I expect white sugar, if all they have is brown sugar then I dont take it not because I am racist but because it's not what I'm fucking looking for!

Oh yeah and +1 to GI for the no favors comment. Equality is about keeping things equal.

Comment

You're relating people to sugar? That's the worst fucking analogy I've heard in a long, long time.

Wanting white sugar doesn't make you a white supremacist. Just like wanting a red Ferrari doesn't make you a native American.

Requesting that an employee be of specific ethnicity is another matter entirely.
                          Last edited by rec; 01-12-10, 01:53 PM.

Comment

LOL - and then you edit your post saying "equality is about keeping things equal" - yet you have no problems with someone hiring based on race instead of qualifications or skill set.

Comment

Endless tautology loop.

(Please realise I'm being intentionally ironic.)

Comment

Working...
                              X