Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisbane move, need info

Ok guys its like this,

i will be moving to brissy in a few months, been trapped in Darwin for 25 years, totally over it now.

As I've never lived outside of Darwin other than when i was but a wee babe, i'm after a list of thing's from anyone that lives in the area

Useful android apps (for locating useful stuff, public transport, pubs)
    Websites with decent info
    recommended food places
    places to avoid (bogon suburbs, bad food)
    Best ISP (that isn't internode, bad blood between us)

anything that may help someone new to Brisbane and large cities in general.

Cheers.

The diversity in culture here will probably break you.

Expect plenty of the things you hate: social networking, metro-sexuals, emos, skinny jeans... and generally people that are different from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratty View Post
      Ok guys its like this,

i will be moving to brissy in a few months, been trapped in Darwin for 25 years, totally over it now.

As I've never lived outside of Darwin other than when i was but a wee babe, i'm after a list of thing's from anyone that lives in the area

1. Useful android apps (for locating useful stuff, public transport, pubs)
      2. Websites with decent info
      3. recommended food places
      4. places to avoid (bogon suburbs, bad food)
      5. Best ISP (that isn't internode, bad blood between us)

anything that may help someone new to Brisbane and large cities in general.

Cheers.
      1. nfi - use an iPhone. I'd say a rail/bus app would be best though.
      2. http://www.ourbrisbane.com/ - dead, but the links there will help.
      3. Ask rec.
      4. Logan? Say where you are looking at then we'll comment.
      5. TPG Unlimited FTW.

Comment

You'll find that Google Maps and Google Places will come into their own in a bigger city. Maps has public transport integrated into it now if you need to go places. You won't need much more than those two to be honest.

Same rules apply as most major cities. Go too far north or too far south and you get the rattier (no pun intended) suburbs. If you can stick around 5 or 6 suburbs from the city you'll be right... but as the guys said, mention which suburb you're looking at.

btw Be aware that Brisbane is full of dumb fuck racists.

Comment

that's cool rec i'll avoid your hangouts as best i can

last holiday for laughs me and a mate sat in the middle of all the emo's in queen street mall talking about how shit my life was and how i should end it all for a laugh... they move on pretty fast

I think the culture shock of a big city will do me some good, as much as im not racist i am VERY opinionated, maybe this will help.

looking at the north side, around , North Lakes, Carseldine, Aspley, McDowall and Bridgeman Downs.
          obviously depending on availability and where i end up working.

yeah i had no real issue with google maps while on holidays in brissy, just a few blind spots GPS wise, and road works.

yeah id heard good things about TPG, no one had any bad experiences with them?

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/ looks good heaps of info, cheers OD
          Last edited by Ratty; 22-07-11, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratty View Post
            that's cool rec i'll avoid your hangouts as best i can
            They're not my hangouts, rather most places in the country except Darwin, NT.

Originally posted by grandinferno View Post
            btw Be aware that Brisbane is full of dumb fuck racists.
            This is true compared to Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart or Adelaide. You shouldn't notice much of a difference, Ratty.

Comment

Re: TPG - Dont go expecting like, support or anything. But if you don't need it, and like the concept of quota's being foreign, then go TPG.

Comment

expect to see less aboriginals

Comment

I live in Darwin 90% of the population is racist.. and 50% of them are of the darker skin variety.

Support from an ISP is something i never expect, its usually me telling them what to check with westnet.

I've heard rumor of places such as whiskey world in Sydney, any such places in brissy i need to know about? (massive Scotch drinker, good scotch btw)
                  no so much a beer drinker, but i don't mind some specific Belgian beers (Belgian stouts or leffe, dubbel) or the odd hahn white even these days.

any bars 100% worth checking out?

i hear brissy has options when it comes to "electricity suppliers", is any 1 better than another from experience?

Comment

If you like your Whiskey (or Whisky), there are plenty of good bars and lounges about. The Lark should at the the top of your priority list, but The Bowery and The Buffalo Club should also impress.

La Ruche, The Lark, Lychee Lounge, Cru Bar, The Bowery and Sling Lounge are all excellent for cocktails with good ranges of spirits. Check out Cloudland for the jaw-dropping fit-out, but don't stick around for the drinks.

If you're after some good beers, then Cru Bar and Platform Bar would be good destinations.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the list rec, will definitely check most if not all out.
                      whiskey doesn't get hammered by spellchecker... but whisky does... odd.

my missus went to Cloudland last holiday to brissy reckons its insanely cool.

Comment

Ok so technically ive been living in brissy for about 6-7 weeks now, and the only question i have is "why the fuck did i stay in Darwin for so long....?... seriously..."

We Live in a very nice new unit complex on top of a hill, (15-20 mins from the CBD, 5 mins from chermiside), close to everything, weather is amazingly awesome, i spend all day outside and dont sweat my ass off, and apparently its summer atm.

the surroundings here are amazing to look at both natural and architectural.
                        Im amazed at how clean and tidy a city with this many people is.

Still don't have the net connected at home so online gaming is out of the question, but in all honesty it hasn't bothered me cos i spend fuck all time in my house now that i don't die the moment i walk outside.

Shit is so cheap down here as well, (not so much the public transport but everything else is cheap), food, fuel, booze, entertainment, housing you name it.

Yet to do much of the bar and pub rounds, but will get to that soon enough.

So yeah, life's good now that Darwin is a distant memory :p

Comment

A couple craft beer bars have opened up in Brisbane since I posted last. Check out The Scratch in Milton and Bitter Suite in New Farm.

Comment

Move overseas then. And you will see the world in a different light.

P.S

You TL'ed...

LIKE A BAAOOOSSSS

Comment

you'll find when things are cheaper people don't mean woolies and coles there the same price anywhere..
                              good thing about Brisbane compared to Darwin is choice and that is what i miss. I used to live in Cleveland its about 45min SE of Brisbane city a quite little town neat, modern and clean i would like go back there one day as yes darwin still has a lot of catching up to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X