Shaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving

Having recently discovered the joys of DE Wet Shaving, does anyone else shave using this gear or better yet a straight razor?

I'm talking double edge razor blades into a safety razor, a brush - badger, boar or synthetic and shaving cream / soap.

I'm already getting better shaves than I did with Gillette cartridges - Mach 3, Fusion.. i've used them all...

You can get into this rather cheaply, or expensively, just depends what sort of gear you buy and how into it you get.

My 'starter' kit set me back 120 dollars which included a Merkur Progress, a very decent badger brush, some shaving cream, alum block and some blades.

Some amazing smelling creams and soaps out there that also perform fantastically lather wise too. Some really good brands to look out for are Taylors of Old Bond St, Geo F Trumper and Proraso.

Anyway, after that initial outlay, with the blades I'm now using, it boils down to 38 cents a blade which last me 3-4 shaves. A tub of shaving cream will last you months and a brush practically forever if you look after it.

Got any shops or places on where to start off getting gear from?

For nicks I just use the same thing I use for Judo.

Comment

I'm primarily shopping at Fine Shaving Products for a Smoother Closer Shave - Shaving.ie - Chris is a really helpful guy and orders are processed within a day or so. Takes about a week to hit canberra from ireland. He's one of the cheapest suppliers on the net.

An aussie based one is Men's Biz - Men's Skin Care and Shaving Products. they have some great stuff and send samples with every order, but they are expensive. I was a little pissed to see that I could get some shaving cream - Taylors of Old Bond St - Jermyn St Collection to be exact, for about 4 dollars cheaper from a brick and mortar store in a westfield shopping centre.

If anyone is keen on this, I suggest you buy a starter kit, or a second hand razor and have a go. Taylors do a sample pack of all their creams so you can get to try all of them fairly cheaply.

Yup styptic pencils are great. Word of warning, if you mess your face up one shave, dont rub alum all over it, you may as well put petrol on it and set your face on fire.

An aussie forum - http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/ can be used for a source of more info and possibly some freebies if people have some gear spare.

Comment

Shaving.ie in Ireland is great, I bought most of my startup gear from them.
        MensBiz is good but as Minorci said a little expensive, but if you join paste and cut forum you get a discount.
        Connaught Shaving is good - also UK based and they have an ebay shop too
        Those are the three I have used.
        I priced up my starter pack from a shop in Perth and it was around $450 but from Shaving.ie for the same gear it was around $220,so definitely some savings to be had.

I have stacks of blades and creams etc so if anyone wants some advice or info just let me know.
        Last edited by JugV2; 26-07-11, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. It's something that I've been keen to look into never really knew where to go for the gear beyond retail junk. I've been annoyed at the standard supermarket razers for years. I'll probably grab some stuff over the next few weeks.

And rofl @ covering your face with alum. Would pay for someone to record a video of themselves doing that.

Comment

I used to use those burshes / razors. I inherited them from my grand-dad, so they were vintage and really fucking good quality. The razor had an ivory handle.

Unfortunately, after moving to SA, my Dad couldn't find it among all the boxes. So it's gone forever.
            Not sure why I didn't continue with the style of razor though; as they rock.

Comment

Wealth of knowledge in this thread at OACU Overclockers Australia Forums. This first got me interested however didn't make the time to do so back in Darwin.
              Last edited by Lothar; 27-07-11, 12:47 AM.

Comment

hmm looks very interesting.

Easier to cut yourself im guessing? misconception?

Comment

Can be if you aren't careful. Get your technique right and you will be fine

Comment

I actually have a cut throat/straight razor, yet to use it, based on fear of slitting my own throat. bought it about 12 months ago with full intention to start using it.
                    its a little Dull, finding a good cheapish strop is annoying, i tried to find a fine wet/dry stone for it, but nothing i could find locally was fine enough.
                    any hints on using it to make sure i minimize the damage?

Comment

Shaving.ie has some veryhigh quality Japanese whet stones and strops. A dull straight razor is a bit dangerous imo

Comment

Originally posted by Minorci View Post
                        Shaving.ie has some veryhigh quality Japanese whet stones and strops. A dull straight razor is a bit dangerous imo
                        one of the main reasons i havent used it yet, will have a look at the site try get myself a strop
                        anyone know if the Strop or stone is a better option? have found many mixed reviews online

Comment

I been shaving with a straight razor for the past year. The brand that I use is Dovo Solingen from Germany. The cream is Maca Root shaving cream.

Overall you shouldn't have to sharpen your new straight razor on a japense water stone. Though you should only be considering a 8000 grit stone, 800 to 1000 grit stone will take too much metal away.

What you will require is.
                          1) Razor strop infused with (Chromium(III) oxide)
                          2) News paper
                          3) Razor
                          4) Shaving cream
                          5) Depending on where you live mineral oil or as its called in Australia baby oil

You do not want to get just a leather strop without it being infused with some type of abrasive compound. This is mostly because it will not remove any metal to hone that razor sharp edge of the razor. After honing your razor on the leather strop infused with chromium oxide (cheap)(green) you hone your razor on single sheet of news paper on the bench. The reason for using news paper is because the particles that they use to print news paper is smaller than chromium oxide, about 1/10th the size and mostly consistent. This acts as the last abrasive you use before you shave with the razor.

So, here is normally my steps with a straight razor.
                          1) Strop the razor 1-2 times on the leather infused with chromium oxide (havent replaced it yet after 1 year)
                          2) Strop the razor on news paper on the bench
                          3) Put shaving cream on
                          4) Shave
                          5) Wash off
                          6) Shave against to finish up
                          7) Wash razor off and cover the razor lightly with mineral oil to prevent rust

Most (cheap) razors are made with stainless steel though the only problem is they contain much less iron and thus are much harder to remove the metal, and thus require more honning to get a sharp edge.

For a comparision I purchsed a cheap E-bay $60 razor and the dovo, I threw out the cheap ebay razor because it was simply made out of stainless steel and I could never get a sharp edge like the Dovo.

Though one of the problem with having a razor up here in the NT, and the high hudmiity plus using it in the bathroom and storing it in the bathroom is the problem with the top quality razors to oxides much faster than stainless steal. The solution to this is to get a Jam Jar, and fill it up with baby oil and place the razor into the baby oil after use not let the nasty oxygen get to the metal.

Now for cuts.
                          You're going to cut yourself
                          And

Though the cut's are not that bad. Normally it heals up in 10 minutes anyway.

For preparing, jump into the shower with some soap and do a wash of your beard. Hope out of the shower and then prepare the shaving cream, slap it on. Do your shave, repeat, then jump into the shower and have a wash and you're done.

When you first do it for the first 5 times you will freak out, after the 10th-20th you will think whats the big deal.

Comment

@Ratty

If you want I can make you up a simple strop that you can come around and pick it up, loaded with chrome oxide that you can give it a shot. Think i got some old leather lying around in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
                              @Ratty

If you want I can make you up a simple strop that you can come around and pick it up, loaded with chrome oxide that you can give it a shot. Think i got some old leather lying around in the garage.
                              that would be excellent mate. let me know what ya drink and i'll shout ya a 6 pack or something for your troubles.

My razor is just a cheap $60 ebay jobby as well, didn't want to go the whole hog initially until i was sure the shave was worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X