Buying a new mouse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new mouse...

So I got my K. Rudd bonus and I'm buying a new mouse. But I know like nothing about mice - what they're worth, what I need etc. I'm a graphic designer and photographer but I don't game much. So I need a high-ish DPI but I'm not concerned about lag or whatever. I was bidding on this G7 on eBay but the bids are getting high and I saw somewhere that the G7 came out in 2005 and that one is second hand.

What I want to know is what you think that used G7 is worth, if buying a second hand mouse is worth the money I'll save (there's not much you can do to damage it, right?), and if I really need something that fancy. I'm pretty sure I wanna go with Logitech but I'm wondering if an MX would be more suitable for my needs. I've used one of those cheap ass generic Microsoft mice for about 2 years so really, anything is better than what I've got at the moment.

Have you looked at a tablet / mouse combo. I use my wacom bamboo quite abit and although the mouse feels weird it is still fluid movement and very accurate.

As for the G7 see here staticICE :: g7 mouse : Australia's comprehensive computer hardware and gadget price comparison search engine . I payed for myne about 2 years ago $200 brand new with the carry case and extra battery and the likes. I liked it but never going wireless for a while because my Razor DeathAdder feels more comfortable for my hand.

Comment

Logitech MX518 ftw. Adjustable resolution on the fly - which is invaluable with design. It's the first thing I do when I start a new job - tell them I want a MX518! lol

If you're going to jump into tablets, go Wacom Intuos.

Comment

Thanks Lothar, that website is very handy for comparing prices.

Now I'm tempted to get either the Logitech MX revolution or the G9... There's a massive difference in DPI (revolution is only 800DPI! G9 is 3200 for the same price...) but the G9 is corded. The cord is probably something I could overlook for the difference in DPI though. But the G9 is ugly and bulky, and the Revolution looks so much sexier and ergonomic... ah, decisions, decisions

Comment

Edit: Damnit, capped to dialup speeds = double post :/
          Last edited by Brookie23; 29-04-09, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Ok Nick, why is the Logitech MX518 so much cheaper than the MX Revolution, when the Revolution is only 800 dpi and the 518 is 1800dpi...? Is it the ergononomic-ness? Or the fancy buttons and scroll wheels all over the joint?

Edit: Just saw that it's optical... why would I need a laser? I've heard they're more precise and can be used on a wider variety of surfaces.. is that all?

Comment

go Deathadder Brooke, if you need a demo, the guys at the IT Shack at Cas will be able to give you a whirl.

Comment

I ended up buying the Revolution. $120 on a computer mouse... Someone, slap me :/

Comment

Hey I like my revolution mouse! The free spinning wheel takes a little to get used to. Its default setting suck too, change the spin to "click-to-click" with auto-shift to free spin when etc etc.

The G7 have battery issues anyway (don't last long, a second hand one would suck) and the 2 I have developed clicking issues after a year or so.

Comment

personally would have gone the g9 (in fact, i already have) - has adjustable dpi, interchangeable weights and grips, mouse wheel can either free-spin or click, and is comfy in spite of the odd shape.

also the cord is fabric braided so it rarely gets caught on the desk.

Comment

Razor are a good company for these type of peripherals

Comment

Originally posted by Mungus View Post
                        personally would have gone the g9 (in fact, i already have) - has adjustable dpi, interchangeable weights and grips, mouse wheel can either free-spin or click, and is comfy in spite of the odd shape.

also the cord is fabric braided so it rarely gets caught on the desk.
                        Mung, wait for it to fray the tiniest bit, and then you'll see it will open right up real fast.

Comment

So it arrived today. Still deciding on a name for it. Someone suggested 'Mighty Mouse', but I don't want no Mac name belittling my new toy :/

Thanks everyone for the tips/advice
                          Attached Files

Comment

HEY MOUSE LOOK OUT THERE'S A CHICK ABOUT TO LICK YOU!!!

Mouse looks snazzy - is it comfortable?

Comment

Very comfortable, and very smooth Getting into the habit of using the fancy buttons.

Comment

Working...
                              X