No announcement yet.

Watch out iPad; Google OS concept tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this to be a significant paragraph - It's not worth it if you have a Smart Phone and a Laptop
    If the iPad isn’t a good option as a middle device, it ought to at least be attractive to power users and enthusiasts who already have other devices. Unfortunately, it’s not.

It’s not significantly better at anything than either your iPhone or your MacBook. It can’t be used as your daily workhorse computer on the go, because just like the iPhone’s OS 3.1.2 the iPad’s OS 3.2 doesn’t multitask. And if you already have an iPhone, you can do basic information gathering, mapping, and so on while you’re on the go without spending an additional $29.99 per month for 3G service.

Furthermore, your laptop or netbook very likely has a web cam for video conferencing, and your cell phone probably has a camera (or even video camera) for capturing images. The iPad has neither.

Since the interface is graceful and satisfying, you might want to buy it as an extra device just for the experience, but at between $499 – $829, that’s not practical for most consumers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Hype

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The iPad isn’t going to be a phenomenon with either netbook users or power users. It’s not better than existing devices at anything, and it’s too expensive for most people to use it as a secondary device. I might have said something different if the rumors that the iPad would be all about a new push in the content marketplace were true, but that didn’t happen. Instead, we got a cool toy.

Comment

nothin' wrong with cool toys. i'm all about that shit!

Comment

Comment

Paladin, you're arguing semantics. When you ask pretty much anyone, especially those not savvy with technology and terminology, what they do on the "web", they'll give you a list longer than "browse websites". You'll also find they do more than one of those as a single time. Hell, even my Mum uses MSN while browsing. She actually uses the internet mainly to play multiplayer canasta. And guess what, that multiplayer canasta website uses flash for the games.

No one here agrees with you - not even Chad. Virtually no reviews agrees with you. Even surveys regarding interest in the device since launch do not agree with you. And all indicators point to initial sales being slower than expected.

You've turned into a deluded fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
            When you ask pretty much anyone, especially those not savvy with technology and terminology, what they do on the "web", they'll give you a list longer than "browse websites".
            not my fault they're idiots. stop perpetuating the myth.

and deluded? why? because i can see myself actually using it?
            Last edited by paladin; 10-02-10, 10:33 AM.

Comment

"The best way to experience the web," right now, is with the option to use/view Flash content. Your opinion of the technology is irrelevant.

You're deluded because you can't understand that, or anything else the rest of the world is saying about the iPad's shortcomings.

If Apple was a religion, you'd be one of those nutter evangelists.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
                "The best way to experience the web," right now, is with the option to use/view Flash content. Your opinion of the technology is irrelevant.

You're deluded because you can't understand that, or anything else the rest of the world is saying about the iPad's shortcomings.

If Apple was a religion, you'd be one of those nutter evangelists.
                tsk tsk. resorting to ad hominem as well are we. i can't think of a single thing i do on the web that relies on flash. not one. i can't be the only one. i'd almost go as far to say that the web is best experienced WITHOUT flash, simply because of the amount of fucking intrusive flash based advertising on content sites. but still, you're a "web designer" so i guess flash dying would mean a line being deleted from your resume. golly gosh we can't have that can we.

Comment

Re: Watch out iPad; Google OS concept tablet

Originally posted by rec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh, and I'm a web designer that explicitly doesn't like Flash, or design/develop with it. For the same reasons you don't. There is no Flash on my resume, and I'd be happy to see it die.

Comment

Uninstall flash right now paladin and see how well GU loads up?

Flash player 10 beta works surprisingly well with android and also on a rooted iPhone. And regarding having 25% processor usage .... WTF how many tabs do you have open at the time. What browser you using. This never should happen on a current system with a production website.

Comment

i see. so my opinion is irrelevant while yours IS relevant? i see. you hold onto that little log if you want to, meanwhile i'll just sit back and bask at the irony of you posting from a device that is equally as limited.

Comment

My opinion on the technology is irrelevant too. But there's a reality you need to pay attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                            Uninstall flash right now paladin and see how well GU loads up?
                            it loads faster, with less annoying bits.

Originally posted by Lothar
                            Flash player 10 beta works surprisingly well with android and also on a rooted iPhone.
                            the fact that you're surprised that version 10 'works well' should be indicative of how rubbish the tech is.

Originally posted by lothar
                            And regarding having 25% processor usage .... WTF how many tabs do you have open at the time. What browser you using. This never should happen on a current system with a production website.
                            right now, 23 tabs. browser is irrelevant because flash is a cpu hog on all of them. the worst offenders are the online australian newspapers.

Comment

Flash 9 does not work yet on Android as there is only bits and pieces that actually work in linux let alone a hevaly cut down kernel with a Java front end. Hence the supprisingly adobe has build version 10 and released binaries for iPhone and Android.

Browser is important to how the flash plugin is implemented. And if it is so much of a problem from adds why not block them. There is a handful of ways that a user can go about doing this which are relatively easy to setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                                And if it is so much of a problem from adds why not block them. There is a handful of ways that a user can go about doing this which are relatively easy to setup.
                                too lazy. the problem is evident to me across chrome/safari/firefox, on my desktop, pc laptop and macbook.

Comment

Working...
                                X