Unlimited Detail Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic! Unlimited Detail Technology

Check this out! It looks pretty damn cool. Such a great, great idea. Watch to the end! Bye bye polygons!

(rec, contact this guy about his website! It's so fail.)

?? he didnt actually explain anything there aside from drawing comparisons with a system (google) which uses many thousands of computers to achieve its effect. sounds like vapourware to me, be nice if it wasn't, but yeah.

Comment

The concept somewhat makes sense, even if he's too vague to really make proper sense of it. Be interested to see where it goes, if anywhere.

Comment

It's quite a simple concept. Essentially he was talking about models that are made entirely up of little dots. These models are even more system intensive than polys, when drawn as A WHOLE. In this method the only "dots" that you see are the ones you actually can see. Anything at the back of the "model" or out of view just doesn't exist in the render OR AT ALL AS A MODEL at that point in time. The frame is then rendered at your screen resolution (as it is now). I believe there is another algorithm that can clean up the dots that make the model depending on your resolution. Making it even more streamlined I guess. It's the collision and physics aspect I'm wondering if they'll nail, or maybe it will be just used to environments or even hybridised (?) with polygons. Also wondering about light reflection, etc.

It makes sense. We can extrapolate all this incredible data into future projections using technology, but with graphics we still seem to be stuck in an old way of thinking. If you can somehow use clever algorithms to streamline the graphics screen drawing process, then it will got a long way to being smarter... and not just bigger and faster.

That's my understanding anyway.
        Last edited by grandinferno; 12-03-10, 09:48 PM. Reason: Missed bits...

Comment

Update.

Floating Point Technology Proves Very Pretty, id's John Carmack is Skeptical

Comment

It's a scam! : The Word of Notch

Comment

Isn't there some correlation between the voxels and screen resolution that negates some of those points though?

Comment

New info has surfaced. Seems legit.

HARDOCP - Euclideon & Unlimited Detail - Bruce Dell Interview - Euclideon & Unlimited Detail - Bruce Dell Interview

Comment

Looks pretty neat. Maybe a combination of technologies in the future can be used. For landscapes the un-limited detail engine and for conventional vertex computation models using 3D polygons can be used.

It does seem like there will be a merging of the two technologies.

Comment

Oh right, so nothing really all that new.

Comment

Working...
                    X