• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 (Also known as X3 or Rachael) | MobiCity

Ive been hanging for this a while now

1ghz & snapdragon. should be good, due out shortly i hope

Ooo another Android handset. Will keep my eye on this. But it still probably won't deter me from buying the next gen iPhone.

Comment

No Next G = fail.

Comment

Originally posted by ResLo View Post
        No Next G = fail.
        3G 900?

Comment

850 = Next G
          900 = Optus wannabe CDMA replacement

Comment

thought maybe it was a bit of a middle of the range spectrum spec, you wouldnt bring in a phone to the country that didnt work on the number one carrier would you?

Comment

telstra use 3G 2100 also, use doesn't have the same coverage as 3g850(nextg). The 3g850 coverage was built off the Telstra CDMA backbone because it meant they didn't need to replace all the transmit hardware. Most of the rest of the world uses 3g2100 because they still use their 850 spectrum for standard GSM, in the US they are backfilling the areas that use 850(mostly rural) with 1900(almost all city signal was 1900) and 2100. Similar situation in Europe.

So basicly they are providing a phone that works with the major providers around the world except for one in what is relatively speaking a small market.
              Or they could have just made the phone more expensive for everybody.
              Chances are what will end up happening is they will release a "nextG" edition if Telstra ask for it.

Why did teltra choose 850 for CDMA. My guess is a) they needed the lower frequency for the coverage advantage in rural areas and b)they where doing an overlay build on top of the existing 900GSM network didn't want to hit bandwidth limits on their 900 allocations.

Long and short of it we have NextG because Telstra wanted to save money on their 3g role out.

Comment

most of that is pretty spot on morge
                i will ad a few things tho.
                850 was earmarked for rural use around the world long before Telstra rolled it out, as a lot of carriers already "own" the range
                Telstra was the first to deploy wcdma850 but now it is fast becoming the go to band once you leave the city areas because of the better coverage at lower frequencies
                very little physical equipment was used from the CDMA but the the actual transmision (backhaul) was added to and re used

they may hold out for a Telstra request but i would expect one is already on the way maybe not approved by Telstra yet (they have a tradition of doing that), as you say the Telstra market is small by world standards, but the 850 market around the world is quite large and continuing to grow.

Comment

Im still waiting for Tegra

Comment

crisis over

just spoke to my com-padres in mobiles and the x10a is due out at the same time in au and will support 850

they still wont give me one tho..............

Comment

This has been my next phone purchase since the new year. I don't mind waiting because I'm not out of contract until april. I do mind the old version of android though. Hopefully s-e come good and give it a scheduled upgrade to v2 soon after release though.

Comment

If Sony Ericsson sticks along the same lines as before, everyone else gets a "X10" and we should get an "X10a" that will support 850 band

EDIT: yeah pretty much as Insid has said (too sleepy, need coffee)

Comment

X10 mini and mini pro seem to have NextG support specified on the S-E web site but not the vanilla X10. There was reference to it on S-E's web page defining that NAM (== AT&T) and AUS (==Telstra) were the only places getting a hsdpa 850 phone but the page has since gone MIA.

Comment

Looks like its crucially missed out on multitouch. Oh well ipawn G4 or HTC HD2 here I come.

Comment

yeah, the version of android they've used doesnt support it - think the original article mentioned that. not an issue for me, never had much use for that - i just want a decent onscreen keyboard

Comment

Working...
                              X