Monitor on its way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor on its way out?

Yet another one of my tech problems for you guys. My monitor seems to have trouble turning on. Like, I'll press the power button and the button gets backlit and I can hear a faint high frequency sound like it's turning on. But it's acting like a computer that won't boot. The screen flickers black ever so slightly, then the power button loses its backlight for a second and the process starts again. So I've been leaving it on and after like 5 mins it finally turns on. The longer it's on, the more of a flicker I see when it's trying to turn on. Like just before it turns on properly, I can make out my login screen.

I checked all the monitor's connections and they were a little loose, but even after I tightened them the problem persists. I wanna know if it's my monitor or possibly my gfx card. I haven't noticed any graphics issues once the monitor is on. Specs in my sig.

Had the exact same problem with my old widescreen Sony CRT television. I had a technician come evaluate it, the problem was quite minor technically speaking (although I can't remember what the part needing replacement was). But given that virtually no-one services CRT anymore, and the places that do charge an arm and a leg - it was throw away material. I ended up leaving it on the side of the street.

Comment

probably the easiest way to way to narrow it down is to try another monitor.

Comment

I recently had the exact same issue with a 4 year old elcheapo LCD, it eventually got to the point where it would only come on when it felt like it, sometimes a few minutes, somtimes a few hours, I just binned it. It will definatly be a monitor issue.

Comment

def monitor.
          CRTs fall into the "I won't service it" bin.
          You realy need to know what you are doing and electric shocks arn't fun(unless your lenko).

Comment

CRTs are a mild pain, I wouldn't fix one that wasn't mine. But I suspect she has an LCD because sig says sammy 1680x1050.

In which case I've had a lot of success with replacing capacitors in the power supply. However this is probably not easy if you don't have a nice desoldering station available.

Comment

Yeah it's an LCD. Got it second hand from another Darwin gamer and I've had it for a year. So could I solve this problem by getting a new power supply off eBay or something? I guess I could find someone who has a desoldering station. But it sounds like it might be worth me buying a new monitor altogether...

Edit: Finally got my $500 voucher from the Big Photo comp yesterday. Guess I know what I'll be spending it on now.
              Last edited by Brookie23; 19-03-10, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Bought a nice 32" Samsung LCD TV for a monitor on the weekend. Except now my secondary hdd with about 60gb worth of my photos on it is playing up, and my backup drive only *just* arrived in the mail too. Ugh

Comment

Jeez bud. Colour accuracy is going to be terrible. Hope you're not doing any serious colour correction on it...

Be good for gaming though!

Comment

Eh. My PS work is the only stuff I'd call 'serious', and I'm a big fan of non-destructive workflows so if anything were to go to print it's easy to fix the colour without damaging the original photo. It's not like my now kaput Samsung monitor was ever calibrated anyway

Comment

Working...
                    X