Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to pass audio only from amd 5770 to receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to pass audio only from amd 5770 to receiver?

Hi everyone decided to hook my computer up to my receiver and have one problem.

It all seems to work, I can get video and audio to pass over hdmi to the receiver but I can't get audio only.

So if I just want audio I still need the TV on.

Setup is

Windows 7 with an AMD 5770 with a hdmi cable to the receiver, tv connected via hdmi to receiver.

TV and receiver are synced so if I turn one off they both go off and I want to keep that feature .

If I have the computer on and turn the receiver on and set it to the computers hdmi connection nothing happens. If I turn the tv on the computer picks it all up and it works.

Am I out of luck with this?

Depends on the model of your receiver, from what I think I know about this topic, receivers aren't necessarily capable of decoding hdmi, some are only capable of switching it.

Comment

Its a Kenwood krf-v7300d, it can take both audio and video from hdmi.

I am assuming it can decode from hdmi it as it supports Dobly True HD etc which means its decoding the audio correct?

Comment

I was talking pass through hdmi, your box is a HDMI repeater, apparently that means that it can get audio off the HDMI.

So I'm out

This article is a bit dated, but might be relevant: HDMI The Good And The Bad - Smarthouse

One of the greatest problems encountered with HDMI products to date falls into this category, as some of the sources, most notably some cable set-tops, do not recognize the presence of any device between itself and the sink. Insert another HDMI device in the middle, no matter how proper its design and software might be, and the system chokes with no signal visible on the sink. There are fixes for this that typically involve a firmware upgrade to the source, but if the fix isn't available, try and explain all of this to a client when you've just sold them on the benefits of HDMI.

Comment

Are you running the latest Realtek audio drivers for the on-card sound? In the audio control panel choose Realtek HDMI Output as Default, and in properties click Supported Formats Tab. Test and set what formats will work.

Others also talk of having the latest version of AC3Filter installed? In ac3filter main tab, check "Use SPDIF" and choose 5.1 audio out. In the SPDIF tab choose the formats your receiver can decode decode (DTS, AC3 etc).

Comment

Tried the AC3Filter which doesn't work. Not using onboard sound and my soundcard drivers don't have that option (Auzentech card).

Maybe the 5770 needs an actual display on the port before it will output anything over hdmi?

Thanks anyway

Comment

Ahh, I thought you were using ATI's on-card sound.

Comment

Waz gonna say the way I read that is he wants to be able to play audio only through the hmdi cable in his soundcard.... which is as simple as selecting it as the default output device (well in xp it worked no probs for me) whats all this about an auzentech?

Comment

No no,

My computer has an auzentech soundcard with some edifier speakers plugged in.

I Have my computer connected to my receiver using a hdmi port on the AMD 5770 graphics card which can send both audio and video. This works if I have my receiver and tv turned on. If the tv isn't turned on then the receiver won't get any signal from the computer.

There's no option at all to force a signal for audio within the graphics drivers so kinda lost. As soon as I turn the tv on the audio will go to my HT speakers rather then PC ones through the graphics card hdmi port.

That explain it a bit better

Comment

So the Auzuntech soundcard has nothing to do with this equasion, as you are indeed using the 5770 graphic card's onboard audio?

Which is a Realtek chip. Thus, install those drivers as mentioned above (instead of using the ones Catalyst bundles), and set it up accordingly.

But you may be right; because it's using the video card's audio chip, maybe it will want a video connection before it bothers trying audio.

Alternatively, why don't you just use an optical cable from your Auzentech card to your receiver instead?

Comment

Failing that, go optic from the pc to amp and keep the hdmi from pc through the amp to the tv.
                      That way you should be able to listen to just music when you want to through the amp on the fiber optic and when you want to watch a show/movie it will still work throught the hdmi.

Due to not having hdmi on my kenwood reciever i have all sound going through optic to my amp, and all images go straight from the pc to my plasma via hdmi. Oh and something like a harmony helps all this work the way i want it.

Comment

I don't understand why you're fucking around with all this. Just plug your soundcard into your stereo.

Unless you want the audio going to your TV?

Comment

Originally posted by Tachi View Post
                          If I have the computer on and turn the receiver on and set it to the computers hdmi connection nothing happens. If I turn the tv on the computer picks it all up and it works.
                          Am I out of luck with this?
                          No. I figured it out this evening. You don't have to have the TV on, you just have to have the display "Extended" or "Duplicated" in windows, AKA Enabled, and it will send the audio. If the display is disabled (disconnected) it will not send sound out.

So you can have your TV off, but your sound will go through your receiver. The only annoyance is having an empty hole on one side of your screen (the enabled desktop).

More thoroughly - Go to your resolution settings in windows, or whatever OS you use, then ensure that the HDMI display is enabled (even though it might be turned off). You should be good to go.

Comment

Necrooooooooo.

Comment

Working...
                            X