Someone is stealing my internets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brookie23 View Post
    After having my modem off since last night, I did a factory reset this morning, used all new passwords, and so far only 42mb metered. Another thing I just thought of is the Internode radio stations that I listen to a lot. Maybe they're suddenly being metered when they shouldn't be? I just updated the MUM radio list and the ones I listen to are still on it.

Just installed NetLimiter and haven't seen anything suspicious yet. However, I installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and something is blocking its internet connection so it can't update. I don't use any hardcore firewalls, just the Windows one I think. I updated AVG (was already installed) and so far a scan has only shown a few software cracks.

No usenet clients installed.

Thanks Craig, if it happens again today I'll give you a call.

werid malwarebytes isnt updating.

AVG is a rubbish of a program last time i used it. Have a go at avast

Comment

Does your ISP count your uploads towards you cap? Do you leave a torrent program running all the time, seeding a dozen things and not realising that the uploads are coming off your quota?

Comment

I have not had any torrent programs running in the background, and I'm with Internode who don't count uploads towards my quota.

Comment

Originally posted by Brookie23 View Post
          I have not had any torrent programs running in the background, and I'm with Internode who don't count uploads towards my quota.
          Some internode plans count uploads. The easy plans have this

Comment

I'm on one of the old Home Standard plans, so all good.

Comment

Hmmm, it's every consistent now. 350mb metered yesterday, 360mb today, when none of my PCs were on. Nothing when my modem was off all day. I found the routing table though, with a 192 IP address and another starting with 203. Not sure if that means anything... but what do I do with this information? Can I block them somehow?

Comment

do you have a console hooked up to it wirelessly? or your mobile?

Comment

this is so exciting, i can hardly wait to see what happens next

Comment

insidious, if you're not interested then go view the other more interesting threads...
                    Last edited by Brookie23; 14-04-11, 11:43 PM.

Comment

lolz

Comment

Wahhhhhhhh...

What are you using to check how much has been downloaded btw?

Comment

why dont u listen to what people are saying here because clearly your knowledge isnt very high in regards to this. Get somebody round to have a look at what is going on.

Have u turned off the wireless?
                          Have you only plugged your pc in?

Clearly you arnt doing what is required to properly find the problem. But keep coming back and posting about what you arnt doing to try and resolve your issue .. it makes for awsome reading.

Comment

Edit: Aegis, I don't own any gaming consoles, and my iPhone is usually connected to my wireless. However, both my PCs were off today/last night, so I thought the only way I could have been responsible for today's 360mb was if my iPhone downloaded it between midnight and 6am, when I was sleeping :S

Nick, I'm using Internode's MUM.

Unseen, I'm not sure how you can claim I'm not following advice, when I've:
                            • run malware scans
                            • used NL to monitor connections
                            • ruled out consoles, windows updates, torrents, usenet clients, podcasts, game updates and metered uploads
                            • unplugged my modem all day (ruling out concurrent logins)
                            • found the DHCP table - as I said though, I'm still not sure what I should be doing with that info

The only thing I haven't tried yet is turning off the wireless (I'll do that tomorrow since I will be at home and able to monitor it) and MAC address filtering, and I've explained why that's my last resort.

I bet this is something really simple and it's been staring me in the face this whole time. Sigh.
                            Last edited by Brookie23; 15-04-11, 12:02 AM.

Comment

If you find it stops when you turn off your wireless, then turn it back on at night and turn the Wifi OFF on your phone. See if you're still getting data shooting out then. My bet is that you won't. The biggest suspect is your phone imo. A rogue app or something...

Edit: Also take into consideration that ANY usage metre has a varying delay.

Comment

also on that with MUM i used to noticed streaming music or downloading unmetered content it would show up on mom then be reimbursed over the nightly rollover.

Comment

Working...
                                X