ADSL2+ router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL2+ router

Which is the favourite brand for adsl2+ 802.11n wireless routers these days? Was it Billion? And if so, does anyone in Darwin carry their stuff in stock?

My old router died last night, and I can't help but blame the #$&*(ing D-Link wireless router I had just plugged into my computer to configure so my wife could take it to work today and plug in where it was needed. I noticed the wireless link on my PC dropped out almost as soon as the D-Link was powered on. Then for the rest of the night, after i repacked the D-Link, it kept dropping out, even after reset + factory reset + reconfigure. Now when i power on the old router, the ethernet lights all glow at once for a second, then nothing but the power light shows :/

I don't buy coincidences that blatant...

If u r after Billion hit up General Scientific in Coconut Grove the number is 08 8985 4999 from what I remember

Comment

7800N is my pick for ADSL users atm. Shame you can't run dd-wrt on it though.

Also keeping in mind 7800NL is a piece of shit. :p

Comment

Originally posted by r00t|{it View Post
        If u r after Billion hit up General Scientific in Coconut Grove the number is 08 8985 4999 from what I remember
        ordered a 7700N from them (no bastard round town seems to have a 7800N) :/

Comment

What price u get on that Aegis? i need a new modem

Comment

$110 :/

Comment

I'm looking at getting a new Modem/Router too atm. Got the wife a nice new Laptop with built in Wifi(N) but the signal from my current wireless(G) router to where the lappy is, is too weak. So I'm after a Wireless ADSL+2 Modem/Router with 4x Gigabit LAN ethernet, WiFi N (300mbps) and VOIP. The 7800N was looking the goods but no VOIP so it may be that I need a new 7404 but that doesn't have the 7800N feature of being able to connect to the NBN in future.

Can someone explain to me the merits (if any) of getting a router that has the ability to connect to the NBN in the furture. On the Billion site for the 7800N it says...

"The BiPAC 7800(N) series is equipped with a second Ethernet WAN interface, which can be used to connect to an external broadband modem. This unique feature frees users to add fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) services when they become available."

Does that mean any modem/router in existence now doesn't have the ability to connect to the NBN in the future?

Comment

that's right res, needs to support the NBN to handle it. I believe that's one of the issues that was brought up in the NBN thread - that most people will have to bin their old ADSL modems to get one that will work with the NBN.

Comment

Windows and Linux will be able to direct connect to your ONT box and authenticate itself. In theory you don't nessesarly need a modem or router to connect - I just helps if you have more than one PC.

I know when I get my Fiber that I wont be buying a router to do this purpose - I will be building a box that supports Gigabit transfers in and out. Something like fit-PC2i Specifications – fit-PC2 seems like it would do the job depending on its speeds.

Comment

Maybe I should go the Fritz!box then.... bit costly though for the Gigabit version.

Internode :: Residential :: Fibre To The Home :: Hardware

Comment

i can order billions. pm me for quotes.

Comment

You can always get an ATA adapter if you want to use VOIP on the 7800N.

If you want a Fritz or a Billion, give me a yell. My mate works for the wholesaler down here...

I love my 7800N. It's been sweet so far...

Comment

i dont get it, if the nbn is just an ethernet connection why cant you completely disable the modem part of a standard adsl modem router and just plug it into one of the 4 router ports?
                          if not natively supported, a cfw?

Comment

You still have to authenticate the PPP session and then advertise that that connection is the one to go through. And for any router to do this it has to have an Ethernet host to do so.

Most routers that you can place DD-WRT or Open-WRT on them will probally do the job for you - however their connections may not provide 100meg to your computer, let alone when they decide that they can provide 1gig.

Comment

Have you got a modem in the meantime lars? Lemme know if you need to borrow something.

Comment

Working...
                              X