PC Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Freezing

Hey guys, hoping to bounce the issue im having with the misses pc off of you guys in a hope i can fix it.

Whats happening is the PC was blue screening when she was using it, mainly when editing video in cs3, I thought it was windows so I blew it all away and installed win 7 ult. Now she was on facebook this morning, and the thing fucking locked up again.

I've got a couple of programs to stress and monitor the CPU and GFX, and I can't get it to fault. I've just unplugged everything from the pc that might have been playing around with it in case, this might be where the issue lies as well. She has an old usb hdd, I think that might be an issue, can it cause a pc to blue screen even though it's not being accessed.

I the CPU sits around 45-47c at the moment, and the gpu is at about 49c. This is after testing earlier so it might usually sit lower but not by much.

The cpu is i7 920. GPU is a GTX 285. I've run a ram test last week but that came up clear to.

It's weird because it was blue screening, now it just locks up.

Tell me what ya think. Cheers.

Oh I forgot to mention, I tested the primary hdd, it came up fine.

Comment

Sounds like a memory problem to me - try using each module separately to see if you can determine which it might be, if it is indeed the RAM.

Comment

also try uninstalling the 3d vision driver

Comment

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

Free download. Boot off the CD and let it run, should tell you if your memory is stuffed.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
            Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

Free download. Boot off the CD and let it run, should tell you if your memory is stuffed.
            A winner. always do ram and hdd tests if the pc is playing up.

Comment

What blue screen error codes show up?
              have a look at the memory dumps?

Comment

Where do I find the memory dumps?

I have run the HDD tests and RAM tests without errors. Although the two times I ran the memory tests both stick where in the machine.

I never saw the blue screens when it had xp on it. And when it was freezing with xp on it, thats all it did. Blowing it away seemed to have worked but if it froze while using facebook but not cpu or gpu stress tests I don't know what to do.

Comment

Facebook does use the gpu sometimes, this is usually through Adboe flash 'hardware acelleration'

Have you tried updating gfx drivers, java, flash, use a different browser?

Comment

I'll clean the pc tonight, it might just be that. It's weird that drivers, java, flash, or the web browser should cause the issue if it worked fine for the last couple of years and the only thing to change in hardware is the PSU, and it better than the last one. I'll try the gfx driver aswell though, win 7 is pretty good at updating that though.

Comment

Put your pc in the oven

Comment

Seems to working again, I can't figure out why it rebooted when she was on facebook the other day. It was on for about 8 hours straight, movign data from the external to the secondary drive without problem, and it was fucking hot though, like the case sits at 50C and it warms the whole room up to an uncomfortable level (door was open and outside it was less than 20c)

Comment

Sounds healthy... :\

Comment

I've been reading around and CPU's seem to sit around 40 without heavy use, and gfx cards sit around 40 to 50. So I'm actually hoping it is healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritzo90 View Post
                              I've been reading around and CPU's seem to sit around 40 without heavy use, and gfx cards sit around 40 to 50. So I'm actually hoping it is healthy.
                              Those figures sound a little cool actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X