Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

in the market for a new vid card .. thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in the market for a new vid card .. thoughts?

whats the bang for buck atm?

GTX 560? Somebody confirm though pls. I'm gonna get the 580 I reckon. I've had to shut down one of the GPUs in my 295... at least that's stopped the crashing!

Comment

Tom's Hardware Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2011 is a good resource. Work out a budget and choose accordingly.

GTX 560s are looking like a good budget buy (approx $200), can squeeze out an extra $50-100 worth of performance with a bit of tweaking.

Comment

It really depends if you want a stopgap, or something that can play Battlefield 3 at 60fps+ when it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
          It really depends if you want a stopgap, or something that can play Battlefield 3 at 60fps+ when it comes out.
          That's pretty much what it comes down to Kurt.
          You're prolly on a budget; but imo spend a few extra bucks and make it go the distance

Comment

Comment

lol, old school

Comment

Shameless plug for my FS thread several decent videocards in there.

Comment

budget isnt an issue .. looking at bf3 being the benchmark game to play and my 5850 died so yeah lets say $1k budget ..

Comment

590gtx?

Comment

If budget isn't an issue, grab a GTX 590. It's two under-clocked GTX 580s on the same board. You can pick them up for about $850. With a decent i7 CPU and my GTX 590 I'm averaging 110fps in Bad Company 2 (max detail 1920x1080), sometimes dropping to 70fps.

Alternatively, two 580's in SLI will outperform a GTX 590 by 15% approximately, due to higher clocks. But you'll likely pay just over a grand for the pair.

If you'd rather save some cash, a single GTX 580 retails for about $550. It's cutting it fine in max detail, though. Expect an average of 60fps and a minimum of 45fps running Bad Company 2 in 1920x1200 (4xAA 16xAF), DirectX 11, max detail. You'd probably want to run BC2/BF3 in med detail.

Comment

Well decided to go the way of 2 x 2g 6970s on a new mainboard. Have an i7 920 atm so that will do for the time being ..

Will update the ram and start to replace my hdd's to Sata3's over the next few months to christmas and should be ready to go for bf3 when it comes out.

atm no games are really taking me in, and the graphics are maxed already on what im running now, so should do me nicely.

Comment

Working...
                        X