Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the time to upgrade or wait?

Sup dudes

I'm thinking about getting a new computer system within the next 3-4 months, and started doing a wee bit of research, as I don't follow enthusiast stuff very closely any more.

And I'm at an impasse...

Do I get a new system sooner based around an i7-2600k, or do I hold of a few months, and wait for the release of the LGA-2011 socket and the x78 chipset.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm currently running a q6600 with a 9800gx2 and 4gb of quick DDR2 - I can play most things, but it's starting to feel it's age in some games and no longer feeling as smooth as it once did.

you should wait, as when the LGA-2011/x78 comes out then the LGA=2069/z55 will be due and you can wait for that as well. Once that is out, then something else will be due which you an wait for as well.

Just think, the longer you wait the more faster your gigamegawatts will be.

Comment

I recently went from a Q6600/9800GT system to a i7-2600k/SLI-570gtx setup. Although I did hold off a bit until the Vertex 3's were released.

It's awesome to be able to play BC2 and others at full spec, and quite often you don't realise the age of your machine. (I blame consoles).

Comment

Originally posted by jabsy View Post
        you should wait, as when the LGA-2011/x78 comes out then the LGA=2069/z55 will be due and you can wait for that as well. Once that is out, then something else will be due which you an wait for as well.

Just think, the longer you wait the more faster your gigamegawatts will be.
        Helpful....

Comment

Originally posted by BrAiN DaNcE View Post
          Helpful....
          Yeah sorry... I guess you either want it now, or you'll always be waiting for the next best thing.

I fitted a new mobo for someone on the weekend, x68 and i7-2600 (unlocked), it booted up nice and fast.... They kept the original gfx card as they only play WoW. They bought now as the original mobo was playing up.

Comment

Brain; are you upgrading for a specific reason? Better performance in X software, or getting ready for a big game release?

Comment

I'm trying to build at least a 3-4 year machine, bf3 was on the cards, but who knows how that will turn out now

I'm going to pull out all the stops, SSD raid, superfast RAM, fast CPU, SLI, the works....

I know it's going to cost a pretty penny, but it should be worth it!

Comment

Working...
              X