My New Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Rig

Here it is, 6 weeks in the making. Copper and stainless. What is it?

Spent 6 weeks building this thing off and on. Full blown valved reflux still. The coil in the head unit was upgraded from 1/4 inch tube to 3/8 tube. The hoses from the tank are 3/4 and the connections attached to the still are 1/2 inch.

They then hook into the 3/8 coil. Instead of 8 loops have increased to 14 and the head is 3" longer thus ensuring it will remain nice and cool with little restiction of flow or effort from the pump. The flow rate can be adjusted by a flow valve.

The test the other day had the head temp at a constant 10 degrees celcius on a 31 degree celcius day in the sun, so shouldnt be an issue. If I need it to get colder, Ill run the pipe work through a cool box.

The cooling is run by a submerisble pump from a 500 litre water tank.

Has two 2200 Watt stainless steel heating elements, has a stainless steel float valve which will shut off the element when the mash gets too low and will prevent element burning out.

There is one thermocouple in the column that monitors the head temp and one in the boiler that monitors the mash temp. This one is adjustable through the PID (automated Tempreture control unit) and SSR unit (Single State Relay). Also have a digital thermometer in the head to ensure there are no issues should the PIDS crap out.

Everything is either copper or stainless and the column is filled with Raschig Rings.

Will produce about 15 litres of 97% triple distilled extreme high quality pure alcohol per 50 litre mash in about 5 - 6 hours.

Break this into 40% proof equates to about 30 lires of clean, crisp, high grade, triple distilled, carbon filtered spirit. Add the mix of your choice, rum, burbon, whatever and you have the equivelent of say a Blue label scotch. The cost to make per bottle, less than $10.

Can I sell it to you?
    No

Will I give you some?
    No

Will i tell you whats its like
    You bet

Cheers

Spongebob

Attached Files

wtf! most random return to forum life ever

nice effort tho :o

Comment

sweeeeeet
      the costs of such project?

feel free to ship me up a liter, ill let you know how it tastes.

Comment

Yes sponge still lives

as for cost about $800

Nice to see both you guys still around

Comment

Say bye to your liver for me.

Comment

Of course you'll be using that to distil essential oils

Still extremely impressive. I was looking into a few stills, would love to give proper rum a go using a pot still.

Comment

here i was half expecting a pc.. :p

Comment

So apparently this is what Obama was thinking of when he wanted space to become privatised.

Comment

Just make sure the Duke boys don't break any of your moonshine while making deliveries.

Comment

How many FPS in Crysis 2?

Comment

flagon-pints a second?

Comment

lol, G'day Spongy

Comment

so you bringing that rig to a DGA or what?? sounds like a DGA session is enough time to get something out of it

Comment

mmmmmmmmm nom nom nom

beer is good for you

looking good, gonna start selling your home made booze ?

wonder if you need to scan you ID to buy the stuff to make your own booze.

Comment

Ya know its a still right korny? It don't make beer.

It's flat out illegal to distill any spirit and sell unless you have appropriate licenses etc from the government. So no, i doubt he will sell his booze.

Comment

Working...
                              X