Windows 8 fast boot times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aegis View Post

and wow.. he demoed dragging a window onto anther monitor like it was a big thing??
    I think the funky thing was that the taskbar updated on the second screen with the app he dragged over to there.

Comment

wow.. that's so innovative i just crapped my pants

Comment

I can't wait to try it. If BF3 weren't right around the corner I'd go for it... but I don't want to risk incompatibility/performance issues.

Comment

Dual boot rec?

Comment

I see a whole lot of gay bright colourful hipster shit and a whole bunch of "Move mouse too close menu now covering screen" bullshit.

I also see a lot of "This is what we think you want when using this and thats all you get".

Edit: I do like the new Task Manager though

Comment

Guide to Installing and Booting Windows 8 Developer Preview off a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) - Scott Hanselman

Comment

Yeah I'm really not impressed by anything they're showing me.
                If anything, it looks far more complicated than it ever should be. I'm not interested in anything resembling WMC; because it's fucking horrible.

Comment

So is that laptop in the first video running a mechanical HDD or an SSD? That would be helpful to know.

(Criticism directed @ Windows bitch, not OP)
                  Last edited by Bam Stroker; 16-09-11, 10:21 AM.

Comment

bound to be an ssd

Comment

Bump.

Seems latest reports are that the Start Menu has been well and truly killed where the to code for it is all being removed.

So that means users are stuck with the Metro interface. Windows of giant coloured blocks.

Comment

awesome - i look forward to trying to tell users how to open a DOS prompt on it then..

Comment

Just type cmd :0

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                            awesome - i look forward to trying to tell users how to open a DOS prompt on it then..
                            Windows button on the keyboard and R at the same time. Works most times - appart from when they are on a Mac.

Comment

So to me it looks like the old argument "At least I can get into the crux of the system" is no longer relevant. It also appears as though they've gone too far to dumb down the system. 99% of users don't need to access the C drive really, let Windows manage their shit, and when it goes wrong, just uninstall and reinstall again.

Yeah, no. I'm off Windows for good now, just no point in using it except for gaming for me.

EDIT: Just to add, I have solid state in my mac, and it boots up about the same as that, but that's from full shut down. My guess it's not from full shutdown there, judging by the flash of that new user interface prior to login. That stinks of being in a ready state shutdown. Where all power is off, but it recalls where it was before (ie, all it does is load the image off the SSD and away she goes).

Comment

I think for the vast majority of people now, that if it booted straight into a web browser before anything else they would be happy. For the vast majority of people I've seen, and talked to all they want to do is log into web mail, check facebook, play some online games and do some word processing.

For me, depending on what Mac world does next week with their retina display technology for the Mac book Air, and also Mac Book pro I think I will be purchasing a Mac on this one issue. The new Ribbon user interface, also the new Metro look just feels very off putting. I've grown up with tables, and color separation. So to suddenly see the new interface the same pale color of black, grey, or as some put it "Red, Yellow sausage stand" I think the barrier to entry to Mac's have been removed.

Comment

Working...
                                X