Cleaning a laptop fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a laptop fan?

Does anyone know a safe way of doing this?

A vacuum with powerful suction and reverse flow setting can do the trick, depending on the fan's vent style.

Otherwise you had better look up the disassembly instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by rec View Post
      A vacuum with powerful suction and reverse flow setting can do the trick, depending on the fan's vent style.

Otherwise you had better look up the disassembly instructions.
      i would highly recommend not using a vacuum as the static generated can be disastrous.
      i would recommend buying a can of compressed air.

Comment

I would say it would vastly vary on what the laptop is.

Personally I'd go for disassembly. Some laptops are designed to allow easy access to the heatsinks and fans.

Comment

I would say buy a can of compressed air from Dicky smith for like $6-$9 and open the plastic cover from the laptop and clean the fan with it.

*Dont spray down with the can though, some cans end up shooting moisture and cold droplets if you do that.

Once you done that, if you have some hard dust caught on the fan fins, i would get some cotton ear buds things and damp it lightly and clean with them lightly while you hold the fan in place.

Also dont forget to discharge any static charge you have before touching the internals. Either wear a grounding band or something like that OR touch a piece of metal before hand.

Comment

Air compressor, quick bursts into the vents.

Comment

+1 compressed air
              -1 vacuum of any description (static hurts computers and stuff)

Comment

Working...
              X