Telstra 4G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telstra 4G

Following a soft launch to around 2000 test and business customers at the end of August, Telstra will today open up its LTE network to consumers who sign up for a new 24-month plan with the new BigPond USB 4G dongle.
    Telstra has indicated that typical download speeds will now be between 2 megabits per second (Mbps) and 40Mbps, with upload speeds of between 1Mbps and 10Mbps. This is an approximate doubling in download speeds, and a tripling of upload speeds, the telco told journalists in a briefing yesterday.
    LTE will also bring about improved latency, around half of that of existing 3G technology.
    In a demonstration to journalists yesterday, with eight laptops streaming high-definition videos over Telstra's LTE network through the one cell, the average download speed was 32.47Mbps, while the average upload speed was 18.53Mbps, with a latency of 32 milliseconds.
    Telstra's 4G LTE goes public - Communications - News - ZDNet Australia

no comments? i busted a but to get this going

Comment

butt

But yeah - more comments when my phone can use it

Continuous expansion around Brisbane suburbs?

Comment

Will leave some comments if my new iPhone 5 is a 4G handset. Will post back late Oct.

Comment

Originally posted by insidious View Post
          no comments? i busted a but to get this going
          Thanks Aaron for all your hard work.

The Speeds and Latency is amazing and puts ADSL2+ to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by RakeR View Post
            Thanks Aaron for all your hard work.

The Speeds and Latency is amazing and puts ADSL2+ to shame.
            if that is true, then it's only because noone is using it yet.

Comment

I don't really care about the speed, what is the data plans? 10Mbps is great but a data plan of 500mb at $49.95 just makes me laugh.

Comment

Harb, you need to understand that LTE is using the same backhaul as NextG so that would invalidate your statement.

Chad, very understandable.

Here is the Bigpond Plans:

1GB 24 months From $19.95
                4GB 24 months From $29.95
                8GB 24 months From $39.95
                15GB 24 months From $79.95
                These plans will shape to 64K once the allowance is reached.

Business has non-shaped plans at the same cost but with excess usage per MB.

Perfect as a travel companion for your laptop.

Also remember LTE is only available within CBD areas of capital cities.

Comment

Harb, you need to understand that LTE is using the same backhaul as NextG so that would invalidate your statement.
                  but that was never going to be the bottleneck - it's the bit between the client device and the gateway into the backhaul that's the problem.

Comment

Give me an example of what you mean.

Comment

I never thought that the bandwidth limitations of nextg were in any way related to the backhaul.

Any wireless protocol is shared bandwidth, the more people using it, the less there is available per person. Will be interesting to see how the latency holds up under real world usage though.

Comment

Person A(Aegis) could be looking at beastality stuff while persons B and others could be using the internetz for legitimate uses. The more people on the network or tower the more degrade in performance for the others connected to it. This is a general assumption so insid can just go ahead and shut me down.

Comment

200 customers connected to one tower.
                          The band for the node is say 20Mhz per channel that the tower can use is about 130 - 200 mB/s. Time shared and split up between users is still give or take 1mb. So you see the problem Regardless of how many towers there is just not ENOUGH bandwith to have all carriers use this spectrum and have suitable wireless or the speeds you say (without burst speed).

I know 200 customers are not all using the service at once. But regardless if they have a channel open it is still using or utilising the spectrum and limiting other customers even if they are not downloading.

^^ Problem with the physics not the technology.
                          Go to the 6Ghz band where you can have 40-100mhz channels. More bandwith (channel frequency) the more data can be modulated - the more customers or rather more burst speed.

Comment

can't really assume burst traffic for web browsing anymore though. Most people embracing mobile web applications will be heavily into Youtube and other high bandwidth sites that require sustained connections for their streamed content. I know I watch a lot more youtube shit on my phone than i ever thought i would.

Comment

I have used Vivid here in perth (4G / LTE) whatever you like to call it. Dont get me wrong having mobile wifi with an unlimited plan is great however at the evenings there is congestion and shitty pings (normal to the node 20ms evenings 40ms - 200ms). Fast 4G Wireless Broadband - Brought to you by Australia's first 4G Network | vividwireless

I am not saying this will happen with Telstra but hey it is just most likely will come down to the buisness model.

Comment

Working...
                              X