Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL Subwoofer problems

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before, I've got a JBL sub in my lounge room, and I've used it pretty heavily the last couple of days.

Today when I was walking past it, I noticed something in the port for it.

It seems some glue or resin is melting and being pushed out of the port.

I'll get some photos up later (camera is charging) but I was just wondering if anyone had seen anything like it before, and if we can just peel the glue off and it will be fine, or if it's going to be a problem in the future.

Thanks.

Does it sound any different and is there a smell? Like burnt electronic smell.
    Will check back when you put up photos.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	597210Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5602.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	597211

Photos as promised

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that it's getting super hot and melting the glue. Either that, or it's crying because you keep playing shit music through it.

Comment

Do you run the sub loud?

Does look like what they would have used to glue the port together it can flow either if it gets hot or with suitable vibrations.
          If it is getting very hot the foam used inside cheap subs(jbl counts as cheap for this purpose) can melt.

BTW it doesn't need to get that hot for resin or hot melt glue to flow.

Other possibility is some sore of insect building a nest inside.

Comment

So the retailer has been in touch with JBL, and apparently it is a warrantable issue, however this will be the second time the sub has gone back for repair/replacement, the first time it just stopped turning on.

So the new plan is to pack up the whole kit, and get a refund for the lot, and use that money (and a little bit on top) to get some new gear.

So anyone got any recommendations for some home theatre gear? I would like an amp that will do HDMI processing, as the one I had previously only did video passthrough. I'm happy to just get a 2.1 set of speakers to start, and will flesh out the centre and surround channels at a later date, as we have nowhere to mount/stand rear speakers at the moment.

Budget is about $2000~2500 maybe more depending how much my wife loves me at that particular moment.

Comment

Been nothing but happy with my Onkyo amplifier and I'm pretty sure OD will echo that about his.
              Mine is about 6 or so years old and has never missed a beat - it's an older model though without HDMI, but more a comment on brand.

Comment

i too am in the market for home theater setup, im bias towards a yamaha amp but am looking for 2 main speakers to suit my rock music taste and 25m2 living area. let me know what speakers u go with brain!

Comment

My budget's a little bit lower but I've been looking at the Denon avr-1911/1912.

Comment

Working...
                  X