Home Theater 2.0 Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theater 2.0 Speakers

going to purchase my first home entertainment system.
    only going to be 2.0 as i dont want rears and the primary use will be rock music dvds and tv shows as opposed to block buster movies.

the amp i have chosen is the Yamaha RX-V671
    RX-V671 - AV Receivers - Yamaha - Australia

and was leaning towards the NS-777 speakers
    NS-777 - EF Series - Yamaha - Australia

im now beginning to feel that these will be too big and bulky for my lounge room.

what are my other options? the book shelves also in the yamaha ef series? or something totally different?
    keeping in mine i want clear music that does bass when but dosnt necessarily need to blow the windows out.

also budget for speakers is 1200ish

I've owned Yamaha receivers in the past and I can vouch for them - brilliant.

I would say there are certainly better speakers than those from Yamaha however, and if you're willing to spend $1500 on a pair of floor standing fronts there is a massive range of options available.

Hellspawn has worked in A/V before and is a bit of an audio enthusiast, he probably has some good recommendations. I'll link him to this thread.

Comment

When I have the money I'm getting VAF. I'm spoiled living in Adelaide being able to go into their store and hear them anytime I want, trust me they are world class.

These are for you > DC-7 - DC - Loudspeakers - VAF Research

edit - Oh and Yes to the Yamaha receiver.

Comment

If you are looking at spending about 3k you should have alot of options
        Jamie is correct and 1500ish would give you a large range to choose from
        You need to keep in mind what you are planning to do in the future as well
        You say you are only interested in 2 channel but have chosen a home theatre amp and therefore will be paying out money to run channels you will not even be using
        That money would be better spent on a 2 channel amp and main speakers
        You may then be able to find a decent 2 channel amp for perhaps 1k that will sound better than a surround sound amp for 1500 and it will allow you to slip up to 2k for main speakers
        You may also consider 2 decent monitor speakers and a matching SUB, especially given that the sub can be placed elsewhere in the room
        However if you are planning on getting more speakers later on for surround sound then you should get a surround amp straight up

Options are endless
        I currently run a pair of Krix Neuphonics and a Musical Fidelity dual mono amp for my music and music DVD's and have a different system for my home theatre
        This came about because it has taken me over 15 years to get the amp and mains I wanted and I have kept every other piece of audio equipment I have
        My current main speakers actually slay my home theatres main speakers and sub woofer

If you invest money in high quality audio equipment you will have it for years
        I have no intentions of ever replacing my Krix speakers (Also from Adelaide)

I can rabbit on for days about audio stuff but my advice is to take DVD's and CD's of music you want to listen to (make sure you have a few different genre's) rather than use their test ones
        Also it is worth making sure they dont bump up the bass etc, the best test is to use a direct audio setting and see how it sounds or making sure the bass and treble (or equaliser) is set flat
        That way there is no hiding any faults in the equipment
        Also ignore the audio outputs figures of hometheatre amps especially as they are pretty much aload of crap
        Use your ears to make your decision
        My amplifier has volume up and down and that is it, I can tell you I have never once felt the desire to have a bass or treble control since I upgraded.

One other thing you might want to do is to get in touch with Raker as he has a krix apex 3 surround system (5.1) with a maratz home theatre amp (they are excellent for music) that I sold him some years ago that he may want to sell
        The mains are not huge and neither is the sub but they sound fantastic especially for music

There are alot of consideration even when you go for a 2 channel amp as they often only use analogue inputs and alot of the modern dvd players etc have poor analogue outputs

Take your time and make sure you are happy with what you get, you should never rush into something that you may not change for the next 10 to 15 years or even longer. It is not like a tv where people are upgrading about every five years or so

Also be careful you dont end up spending much much more than you expected

--------------------------------------------------------------
        HellSpAwn

Mystery's forgotten chords
        I strum in vain to please the lord
        But he has never answered me
        My faith has waned eternally
        In empty men who pass along
        The woes of all religions wrong
        But now the shadowed veil it falls
        Heed the Clarion call
        So pray to music build a shrine
        Listen in these desperate times
        Fill your heart with every note
        Cherish it and cast afloat
        Because god is in these clef and tone
        Salvation is found alone
        Haunted by its melody
        Music it will set you free
        Let it set you free
        Last edited by HellSpAwn; 16-11-11, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I bought Wharfdale floor standing fronts for around 1k, about 5 or 6 years ago. Smashing speakers all around.

Comment

Ok for all who had input.

I ended up ordering the yammy 671
            RX-V671 - AV Receivers - Yamaha - Australia

hope it all sounds and looks good.
            Went way over budget at $2150 delivered but should last me several years.
            If monkey asks it cost $1200

Comment

Quality audio equipment will last you a lifetime if you want it too.

Nice choices, I've heard great things about Paradigm speakers outperforming competitors in many price brackets.

Comment

How is that Yamaha going? Looking at a similar upgrade as my shitty Sherwood amp had the hdmi pass-through fuck out and die recently.

Possibly looking at getting something from Marantz though, such as the NR1402 (www.marantz.com.au)
                Last edited by Mungus; 13-02-12, 10:06 PM.

Comment

all my research said for the price i wanted to pay and features available that it was either the yamaha i got v671 or a onkyo something. i choose yamaha as the brand was more known to myself and it had a iphone app that i can configure and control it with.

your welcome to come round and have a play if you like.

as for price and advise these guys were fantastic eastwood hifi and were more then happy to throw in hdmi and speaker cables when asked.

Comment

Working...
                  X