What monitor to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What monitor to get?

Looking for some recommendations for a new monitor as my current 22inch Samsung is about to go (light flickers for about 10min before turning on properly).

Main use is for gaming, general pc stuff.

So, would a 120hz screen be best or an IPS screen?

Is 27inch to much when your about 1 meter infront of the screen?

Are 24inch screens noticably bigger then a 22inch one?

Not to fussed about 3d.

For some reason I like really thin screens

Any recommendations?

120Hz is the way to go if you love your gaming. So very smooth. Going back to a 60Hz panel looks broken.

The best value for money and arguably outright best 24" 120Hz is the Alienware AW2310.

24" certainly looks bigger than 22", and at a metre distance 27" wouldn't look too big - it'd be great.

Unfortunately, there were no acclaimed 27" 120Hz panels on the market last time I checked.

In regards to 3D: the only panel requirement for it is 120Hz. Then you just need a 3D capable video card and set of glasses.

Comment

Hmm

Was looking at this Samsung S27A950 27in 120Hz 3D Widescreen LED Monitor [S27A950] - $519.00 : PC Case Gear (maybe the 23inch one instead) but it has a glossy screen.

I get a decent amount of natural light at my place are glossy screens bad, never really used one.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a 27" if it's still only 23" resolution. Unless you're an old person.

Comment

That's also a good point. 1920x1080 on a 27", if the screen is right in front if you, just doesn't look as good. And everything looks awkwardly big.

If you're not going to go for a 27" you want the ASUS or Alienware offering.

Comment

nothing wrong with 1080 on a 27", i've got an asus 27" and theres nothing awkward about it. in fact im on a 40" 1080 screen right now

Comment

I agree with rec and harb. 27" @ 1080 is a waste of a 27".

You have two choices. Average picture with rad refresh or rad picture with average refresh.

Comment

Thanks for the comments currently looking at the 23inch version of the Samsung screen I linked above.

The only problem is that its a glossy screen. Anyone use these much?

Where it will goes has a lot of natural sunlight but isn't facing the sun.

Comment

That new Sammy is supposed to perform great, but I haven't seen it myself.

Comment

Get the BenQ

Comment

... If you're a fan of house fires.

Comment

Well I got the 27inch 120hz Samsung.

Wasn't interested in using it for 3d but now I am

I have an AMD 5000 series card, how to I get 3d in Skyrim/BF3 without using the monitors 2d to 3d conversion?

I have installed IZ3D but it doesn't seem to create any effect with Skyrim.

Comment

For reference you need to download SyncMaster 3D Game Launcher (TriDef 3D), load up the game profiles and run them from the 3d software.

Skyrim seems to work rather well and the map has a heap of depth. Not sure about using the 3d for long periods though feels like my eyes are straining with it.

Monitor looks so good

Comment

Working...
                          X