NOS Computers New Website ^_^

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Computers New Website ^_^

Hey guys dunno if this is the right spot to post this but, I just did up a new website for the company I work for. This is only the second website I have ever made that has ever actually made it to the webs and it's the first time I have used CSS (yes I realise how far behind I am but web design isn't really my area of interest) I dont think it's a bad effort considering it was only a few hours total work. I am interested to see what everyone here thinks. Please do not comment on the products or pricing, we are only a small company but anyone who has seen my build work in the past can vouch for the quality.

NOS Computers

I'm by no means an authority on web design, but I don't like the fonts used - I think you could do better.

Comment

All the fonts? Or just the descriptions? I used the < tt > tag for the descriptions coz well I kinda liked the contrast but that being said I am pretty blind. I am going for a basic uncomplicated look that is easy to update (this is REALLY easy to update) but fonts didn't even enter my mind so anyone with suggestion on what fonts to use?

Comment

Yeah the fonts a bit iffy - other than that not a bad effort (certainly better than anything I'd manage).

One nit-pick (more of a CC), I noticed a spelling error.
        Proffesional instead of Professional, under the Onsite Labour section.
        NOS Computers

E
        dit: and competative instead of competitive.
        Edit again: Couple more there. Just run a spell-check on it instead

Comment

lol who has time for spell checks these days? yeah I'll fix them up now

Comment

Not a fan of the background. On the fonts - you have too many different ones. Pick one and stick with it (verdana or tahoma both look shitheaps better).

In the CSS for your menu links, add extra styles for a:hover and a:active so you can change the mouseover and in-use colour of the links - makes it more obvious they're links n stuff.

Code:
            .menu a:hover, .menu a:active {color: #c0c0c0;}
            or something - colour is up to you.

just be aware that the above snippet assumes you've got a class called 'menu' assigned to the menu links.

oh, just opened your about us page... never ever ever ever resize images using the img tag height and width attribs. Resize it in photoshop, gimp, paint, or whatever then use that file. each of those photos are 300k+ you should be able to reduce them to about 20-30k at the size you want. If using photoshop, you dont need the quality slider set to max - 80% is generally plenty for web.
            Last edited by Aegis; 07-12-11, 02:41 PM.

Comment

yeah waz thinkin with the links I would do a mouse over border, I'll look @ those fonts and resize those images. U dont like my main background? I just wanted something with a bit texture but not overwhelming to fill the space. You think a solid colour or a gradient would have looked better? I waz gonna leave the content background white as well (I tried a couple of darker shades but they all looked cheap and I couldn't find a decent watermark I liked) but being christmas and all I Figured Id put something christmas like in the corners u know for a bit of deco. It will go back to straight white once the season is over.

Comment

Taking the above comments into consideration as well, its a good effort. A nice and clean layout with a straightforward menu system leading to similarly formatted pages.

Comment

To be honest it looks like something from the 1990s.

To fix this, change the font from Times to ANYTHING sans serif. Even Arial.

The background is nice and modern. Try and base the look and feel of everything else off that.

Also, your logo up the top is low resolution. Either make it smaller or replace it with a higher resolution image.

With the nav, maybe make some buttons with rollovers. Once again, get rid of that font and replace it with something modern. The font is the main thing that brings the site down.

Comment

Needs moar flash!!

Comment

No offense intended of course, but it's a bad looking site.

I'm on my mobile at the moment but will post some more specific criticisms later that might help with any redesign you embark on in the future.

Comment

Its an awesome HTML site for what it is - better than the other 90% of computer retailers / repair guys sites out there.

I personally would have gone with a base of joomla / durpal / wordpress or any other php/mysql driven website due to the nature of the content. Get your theme right and you can just publish away - not saying this is not achievable with the current manner of publishing it is just easier from where I come from.

The way it looks I would take GI, ageis and rec's comment to real heart as they know their shit - but ultiimatly the site is created for its users. You design it for such. I know of clients that have only 2 sites - one splash screen - one contact details page. But if your after adversing products and what you have got I would suggest more of a dynamic site - or add a price list monthly or similay (I am sure you know how hallmark does buisness).

Comment

This thread reminds me of why GU is one of the forums I still bother to read - a group of people that can offer constructive criticism on something without it turning in to a flame war.

Comment

k I have applied some of the suggested changes. A parts price list will be going up as soon as it's finished (it'll just be a downloadble pdf)
                            and I will be experimenting with different background and color combinations. (soon as I find the higher res logo for the front page I'll update that too) Thankyou to everyone for their input hopefully I can improve on this in future.

@ Sanderphile Any excuse for flashing eh?

@ GI lol thats prolly coz I haven't really sat down to make a website since the early 90's

@ Rec I look forward to more precise criticism ^_^

Comment

still need new font and consistency: the product descriptions layout differs between the desktop and notebook pages. notice how the left justified text on the notebook area is easier to read than the centred text on the desktops page?

Comment

Working...
                              X