Solar Power for Houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Power for Houses

Has anyone in Darwin have a system installed?

If so who did you buy it through? What power system did you get (e.g, 1kW, 1.5kW)? And how much did it cost?

Just tried to have a quick look for an NT seller on the internet but doesn't seem easy. As I just got back from Adelaide, there were systems for sale on TV @ 1.5kW for only $999 with the government rebate. So I was just interested.

There's a house near me on the corner of Chung Wah and Raffles Cres that has solar panels completely covering their roof. Was only thinking this week of dropping by to ask him some questions about cost, effectiveness, availability, etc.

Don't know prices, but I know Delta Electrics in Winnellie sell solar panels.

Comment

I know a guy from work who has half his roof covered (big house at hear humpty doo).. He has aircons running 24/7 and he pays $200 a 1/4 for power.. well worth it.. ill ask who he went through and get back to you.

Comment

You can buy pannels from a local BP agent - I can't remember who they are.

However 1kw or 1.5kw in Darwin is not that much for 10H of sun time they would get. Your current fridge + Computer/TV and everything else on standby would draw that much. Think bigger.

Consult on how much Power and Water Authority will pay you for your power putting it back into the grid.

See how much a battery solution would cost you if they cant pay what the power is worth to you.

Think about the 10 year ROI, and the 25 year ROI - considering upkeep (if using batteries) and replacing the inverter (or repairing it).

Solar is not cheep but if you have a spare 20k you will not have to worry about when you turn your aircon on at all.

Comment

Also take into account the degradation of the panels over time. They don't produce the same amount of power after 10 years

Comment

I have seen 2nd hand 80w pannels still produce 13.8v Regulated 80w after 15 years. But then again new pannels may be different from ones from 95/96.

And also your power requirements in 10 years may be more than what it is now.

Comment

Well I'm not too fussed about cost but would be nice to have since the house isn't used much during the day. When I do find out prices I'll post them on here! (over the next few days)

Comment

Originally posted by MetalAttack View Post
                I know a guy from work who has half his roof covered (big house at hear humpty doo).. He has aircons running 24/7 and he pays $200 a 1/4 for power.. well worth it.. ill ask who he went through and get back to you.
                yeah but ask him how much it all cost

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Of Nih View Post
                  yeah but ask him how much it all cost
                  14k(after rebates) but he was spending 4k a 1/4 on power bills.

Comment

or you could just turn the AC off...

Comment

Originally posted by SperO View Post
                      or you could just turn the AC off...
                      no not when your as furry as me

Comment

The family is getting a 5 or so kw setup, should bring the power bill down a bit on the $1500 a quarter they pay at the moment. Anyone know dodgy brands of panels or good panels? Or somewhere I can look it up.

Comment

On my fokes Car and now on their Boat we have only but BP solar Panels. Have not really seen a bad BP panel at with my Cruising Yacht friends - if it is rated to do 160W per panel it should perform to that spec.

Comment

you have friends who are yachties... this explains EVERYTHING

Comment

Given the fact that I lived in one for about 4 years or so. Yeah.

Comment

Working...
                              X