Video card choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card choice

I just wondered as looking to purchase a new video card soon as I have bought partial a new PC already

I was looking at

Nvidia 9600 GT
    ATI 4850
    Nvidia 9800GT

I am looking about up $250 mark, but not want it to be overly hot for wet season conditions.

Any ideas?

I have read many reviews but cannot make up my mind to what would best.

I think the 4870 will also be in your range... That's a good card, along with the 9800gt... Which is pretty much a 9800gtx.

Comment

^^^^^^^
      What he said

ATI are doing some very good cards in the sub $300 range atm.

Comment

4870 is an excellent card, however the cheapest i think you'll find is $300.

Comment

I just picked up a 9800GT for $159 from pc case gear.

Comment

The only thing i worry about the 4870 is heat issues.

Supposedly the card gets up to 100 degrees at full load.

In the the small room we have that will get hot fast

Comment

my HIS hd4870 only used to get up to around 80 degrees under load. however i edited my catalyst fan profile, and now it only gets maybe as high as 50.

in fact i just finshed a half hour session of UT3, with the catalyst overdrive settings at max (gpu @ 790mhz, memory @ 1100mhz), and it was sitting on 48 degrees when i finished.

this is just sitting in the living room with no aircon. so yeah heat not an issue.

Comment

Spend the $80 extra and go a 4870.

I Love my HIS 4870 atm - most games around 1280 x 1024 with max settings are still over 100fps, thats with AA and AF. Standard setting ( mostly everything set to HIGH) in CSS at max window size was sitting flat at 299fps

As for heat, i live in KGB ( Karama Girly Boys) territory and in a room with no AC and have not had an issue form overheating, from what ive read they are designed to run up to around 100+ degrees but as mentioned by mungus - by creating and editing a new profile in CCC you can change the fan speed to what you want which will change normal temps and keep it a bit cooler.

Originally posted by Mungus View Post
                my HIS hd4870 only used to get up to around 80 degrees under load. however i edited my catalyst fan profile, and now it only gets maybe as high as 50.

in fact i just finshed a half hour session of UT3, with the catalyst overdrive settings at max (gpu @ 790mhz, memory @ 1100mhz), and it was sitting on 48 degrees when i finished.

this is just sitting in the living room with no aircon. so yeah heat not an issue.
                what % have you got your fan set to??

Mine at 20% sat around 80 - 85c now sits on around the 60 mark at 30% fan speed - however i havent watched in game yet to see what i hit

Comment

37%, which is apparently the best balance between fan noise (which sounds like a hair dryer at 100%) and heat.

Comment

if you can get your hands on a 8800gtx 768mb second hand for cheap get it they are a wonderfull card. better then the 7800gtx.
                    you like to play games you need a gtx model.
                    i have stood by nvidia for some time now and they never dissapoint apart from the 7900 model was not imprest at all.
                    not saying there is anything wrong with ati as i havent mensioned them its just the drivers that ati use.
                    ok im drunk nuff said just get what ever you can afford and you'll be happy as anything is better then on board graphics.

Comment

HD4850 all the way ^_^

Comment

Just bought Nvidia GTX260 fast, cheap, big and long for a single gpu card. Upgraded from version 1 8800gts. You will need 2x 6pins pci express power for this.

Comment

Or just get the 4870, faster and cheaper

Comment

4870 the one to go for.

Comment

But arent those new ati cards running really hot even when thyre idle ?

Comment

Working...
                              X